Saturday, October 29, 2016

Raking Garden Leaves

Thank goodness I got all the back yard leaves raked on Thursday because it rained most of the day yesterday. 

IMG_3687

IMG_3690

I had a lot of leaves in the driveway too, but I wasn’t quite sure what to do with them.  When I tried to rake them up, I was getting a lot of small pebbles in with the leaves. 

IMG_3685

I decided to just rake them up anyways, using a lighter touch on the rake so I didn’t get too many pebbles.

IMG_3694

And the rewards of my efforts……..12 piles of leaves.  The reason I say rewards is because all those piles of gold get tilled into our garden plot, making that area ready for next year.  The picture only shows 11, but there is actually a hidden pile of leaves off to the far left-hand side of the screen.

IMG_3715

What took me close to two hours to rake into piles, my husband came home from work and cleared it all up in little over 30 minutes.  Yes, living on a farm has its rewards……scoop up the leaves then back out of the driveway and haul them to the garden plot.

2016-10-27

I’m hoping to get another good day so I can get the front yard raked and the lawn mowed one last time before winter sets in.

IMG_3706

The leaves on the front yard come from two trees (one tree is directly behind the other tree so you can’t see it in the picture) and with the two of them….YES.…lots of leaves.  A ground piled thick with leaves.

IMG_3708

And by the looks of it, there are still a few more leaves left on those branches….ha!  Looks like we will be having one happy garden plot this coming spring.

IMG_3709

IMG_3711

Oh, and I almost forgot.  We also have a smaller tree in the other corner of the front yard.  But hey………it’s nothing compared to the other rakings.

IMG_3714

The funny thing was……….the next day after getting out of bed, it took me half the morning to figure out why my shoulders were sore.  Getting old-er…..yup, definitely getting old-er.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are suppose to go jump and play in them after you rake them up ha ha. We do ours with the lawn mower..Max

Deb J. in Utah said...

Wow, that is a lot of leaves. We used to burn our leaves when we lived in Illinois. Growing up in Colorado and Utah, we never burned our leaves. We don't even have that many leaves here. Just a few trees in the desert lose leaves and that isn't until about January. Hope you have a great week!

LeAnn said...

Wow, that is a lot of leaves. I love that you use it in your garden. We have a lot of unrated leaves but not this much. We are still waiting for more to fall. Neither of us have the health or time to do the raking so we may have to hire some boys to come and do it.
I loved all the photoss and evidence of your hard work. Sending loving thoughts your way that you shoulders are doing OK!

Seth and Natalie said...

Holy moly, that is a ton of leaves. I guess there is a plus to having 0 trees in my yard, I haven't had to rake leaves for 5 years! And I think raking all those piles in only 2 hours is pretty impressive!