Tuesday, October 25, 2016

Gang of Elk

This past Saturday, October 22, 2016, just a little before sunset, my friend called and asked if I wanted to go and see the elk.  She said, "you need to come now, if you want to go.....right now".  So out the door I went, looking pretty scroungy, I might add.
There were approximately 100 head, and it was AMAZING.  We were a ways off, but still close enough to hear them bugling, as you can hear in the video I posted. 
I've lived in Idaho for 36 years and although everyone talks about all the elk, I never saw any until last year.  The ones we saw on Saturday were much closer but still far enough away that the quality of the pictures and video are not the best.  But...................................amazing it was!  And, with the binoculars we had, it was almost just like being right there with them.
Before posting this blog, I looked up what a group of elk were called and to my surprise, they aren't called a herd of elk, but they are a gang of elk.  Hmmmm......learn something new everyday.





 

4 comments:

daiseedeb said...

Love hearing the bugles! Isn't it an amazing place that we live? I hope in heaven we can just go up to them and give them a big hug!!!

Anonymous said...

Cool pictures. We use to see them at our cabin all the time but have not seen them for a long time. A herd of elk sounds better than a gang of elk...Max

LeAnn said...

Who knew that they are called a gang of elk; loved that information. I loved the photos and the video. I must share it with a family we are working with. They went Elk hunting and had no success at all. Which I am not a propionate of Elk hunging so that was OK. I would much rather just see them like this. Hugs~~

Seth and Natalie said...

That is quite the gang, and look at all those daddies! I see and hear them all. the. time. They are always tearing down fences. And I hit one with my car, sooo, I don't really love them. Just like the deer. I am a party pooper on Mackay wildlife.