Wednesday, October 19, 2016

Bottled Tomatoes

Did I hit the nail on the head, or what.  Yesterday I posted a blog about my pickled beets and that I was thinking they would be the last of my canning for the year……but then something else always comes up and out comes the canning supplies.
Well, that is exactly what happened.  After posting my beet blog, I looked at the tomatoes that I had brought home from Utah, that I was planning on just freezing because they were ripening too fast.  After peeling them, I ended up with a lot more than I had anticipated so out came the canning supplies.  Granted, I only got 4 quarts but hey, 4 quarts is more than I had before.
I had some yellow tomatoes too, so I placed them in the pot with the red tomatoes since they basically taste the same. 
When canning tomatoes, for some reason after they have settled, they separate and you have about 1/4 of the jar that is a light yellowish-red liquid on the bottom and the tomato pulp rises to the top.  That is how mine looked this morning so I shook each bottle before taking pictures.

IMG_3579

IMG_3580

IMG_3582

IMG_3583

IMG_3588

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

They will taste yummy in the winter in chili or soup. Dad liked to just put them in a bowl and eat them..Max

Anonymous said...

Hi Marsha~

You have been busy!! I'm almost envious of you...it is so much work!! I love home canned tomatoes.

Hugs,
Barb

LeAnn said...

Another lovely effort in canning; I love the look of the full bottles. When I actually did that canning; I used to love looking at all the hard work.
Blessings!

Bridget and Ellyn said...

I LOVE tomatoes. I eat the fresh from the garden kind in great abundance. My husband looks forward to the day we have a greenhouse so he can get me fresh tomatoes year round. Maybe I got my love of tomatoes from Grandpa!
-Bridget

Seth and Natalie said...

So much work, but so tasty. We made salsa out of ours with all kinds of colored tomatoes, they turned out so pretty.