Thursday, December 5, 2013

Dryer Lint Fire Starters – Pt. 3

This year has been the year for making fire starters from dryer lint.  I use them frequently and they are wonderful.  I have posted two other times about making them – ( Here and Here ).  Each time I make them, I do it a little differently, thinking of a better way to improve on how I’ve done it before.  I also get asked quite often how I make them so I thought I would do one more blog post, giving step-by-step instructions.

Step 1: Gather lots of dryer lint and egg cartons.  It takes quite a bit of dryer lint because you STUFF your carton holes, full.  In the picture showing the stuffed egg cartons, I’m showing 7 dozen (84 stuffed carton holes) but after taking that picture, my visiting teacher came by and brought me enough dryer lint to make 18 more fire starters……ending up with a total of 102 starters.  Yes, I do have others save their dryer lint for me.

IMG_7616

IMG_7619

Step two: Place your stuffed egg cartons in an empty box lid or just place them on old newspaper.  This prevents the wax from dripping all over your work area.

IMG_7621

Step three: Melt your wax…I use Gulf Wax that I purchase at Wal-Mart for under $3.  I cut my wax in half, add a few to my cooking pan an melt over low to medium-low heat.  In my picture, I have a few grated pieces of wax on top that I grated from an old candle.  It doesn’t take too long for the wax to melt and after it melts, I pour it into an empty, clean can that I have bent to form a pour spout.  The can actually stays cool enough that I do not need to use a hot pad to handle it but you will need to test your can before handling.

IMG_7622

IMG_7621

Step four:  Pour your melted wax, slowly over your lint in the egg cartons.  Pouring it slowly gives your lint time to absorb the wax.  I actually pour it closer than the pictures shows…….it is difficult trying to pour the hot wax while taking pictures – ha!

IMG_7624

IMG_7625

Step five:  I guess this isn’t really a step because I do this all along as I go.  When the wax that I have poured over the lint starts cooling and it gets quite firm, I mash it down with my fingers to make it nice, even and smooth.  Most people do not do this but for me, well, it happens.

Step six: After the wax has totally cooled and your little pockets of lint have hardened, it’s time to cut them apart.  Some people do not do this step….they just close the lid and tear them apart as they use them.  We use ours all year long from starting camp fires, rocket stoves, our home wood stove, etc., so it’s just easier to have them all cut apart.  Using a large, sharp knife, I cut them length-wise…I cut 1/2 of the carton, turn it around then cut the other half. 

IMG_7628

Step seven:  After cutting my cartons into strips, I turn them upside down (your choice) and cut them into individual fire starters.

IMG_7629

IMG_7631

You can end your process here is you’d like.  It gives you some parts of the egg carton, making it easier to light them, but for me and for storage purposes, I trim off the extra egg carton, leaving only a small piece of unwaxed carton to make it easier to light.  To store them on my hearth, I just used an old plastic carton and made a label for the top.  By the looks of it, I’m going to need another bucket, or two!

IMG_7632

IMG_7635

IMG_7636

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

We have made them for a long time. We use them to start the stove at our cabin. They work great..... Max