Monday, December 9, 2013

Healthy–er Homemade Brownies

Ok, Ok………..I know………brownies are not healthy but these brownies are a bit healthy-er than your regular brownie.  I found a recipe on the net titled “Best Brownies”.  I’ve really been on a homemade kick lately, trying out recipes from scratch.  It’s much easier to grab a cake mix or a box of brownies and bake them up but in those boxes, you also have a lot of other ingredients you didn’t bargain for.  Don’t think so?…………go grab one of your boxed cake/brownie mixes and read the ingredients on the side panel.  I love a good cake/brownie mix just as good as the next person but I like better, the fact that I know what is going into them.  I’m here to tell you, these brownies taste as good as the boxed kind – really!  I started out with the regular “Best Brownie” recipe and then read the comments from others and one lady said she cut down on the eggs, and sugar and added flax meal and water and they tasted just as good.  So, after making the regular brownies last week, I decided to give these healthy-er brownies a try.  And, they are a one-bowl recipe – woot, woot.

First….whisk together your eggs and sugar in a large sized bowl.

IMG_7659  IMG_7660

Second….add your flax meal, water, oil and cocoa and mix thoroughly.

IMG_7661  IMG_7662

Third….Stir in vanilla, salt, baking powder.  Add flour and mix until just combined – don’t over mix.

IMG_7663  IMG_7664

IMG_7665  IMG_7667

Fourth….Put the mixture in a greased (9x13”) baking/cake pan and bake at 350 degrees for 25-35 minutes.  The cooking time depends on how hot your oven bakes.  I baked mine between 28-30 minutes and they turned out perfect but I think my oven cooks a little hot.  Do the toothpick test and insert a toothpick into your baked brownies till it comes out clean.  Just be careful not to over bake.

IMG_7668  IMG_7669

Fifth….Ahem, no need for frosting.  These brownies can stand alone.  I did, however, just for looks, sprinkle a dusting of powdered sugar on top of my brownies when they were totally cooled.  There goes the healthy-er part, huh?!

IMG_7670

Now, go cut yourself a brownie and enjoy a bit of chocolate heaven!

IMG_7671  IMG_7676

Capture

For those of you who do not care to do the healthy thingy, here is the original recipe.  But I’m here to tell you, that you cannot tell the difference between the two recipes.  Really….I’ve eaten enough of these today to give you an honest opinion – Ha!

Capture

2 comments:

Bridget and Ellyn said...

Looks yummy. I'll give it a try.

Anonymous said...

Looks good. I love Brownies. Maybe I should take your word for how good they are. If I make them I would have to sample most of them...Max