Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Cast Iron Chocolate Chip Cookie

My sister gave me this little 5” cast iron skillet cookie package for Christmas.  I thought I would try baking it today to see how it tasted.  It tasted alright, but wasn’t the best cookie…..more like a cakey cookie.  I got the next two pictures off of the internet because I didn’t have a clue that I would blog about this and therefore…………no pictures.  Before I proceeded to bake this little cookie, I decided to dump the cookie pouch out to see just how much it contained so I could try and master a cookie recipe to fit in the pan if I ever wanted to bake another cookie.  There were exactly 22 semi-sweet chocolate chips and approximately 3/4 cup of the flour cookie mixture.  After mixing up two tablespoons of softened butter, one egg and the packaged ingredients, I patted the cookie mixture into the cast iron skillet and popped it in the oven and proceeded to wash up my dishes.  About 5 minutes into the cooking process, I realized I’d forgot to put the chocolate chips in the batter so I just threw them on the top and hoped for the best.  It turned out pretty good except it took way longer to cook than the package instructions stated.

Cast Iron Skillet Cookie  Capture.PNG22

My next step was to browse the internet to find the perfect, one-serving cookie recipe that would fit in my little 5” skillet.  Not to be found, so I found a recipe I thought sounded good and tweaked it a bit.  Looks like it needs a bit more tweaking.  It totally ran over the skillet and all over the bottom of my oven.  Good thing my oven needed to be cleaned before this little mess.  Even though the mess, I’ll have to admit that the flavor of my cookie was much better than the original.

IMG_7835

Back to the drawing board………………Ok, this one didn’t turn out either, but it baked up better than the first one.

IMG_7836

This one actually came out of the pan.  The first one fell all to pieces.  The dip in the middle………..well, I did that on purpose so I could put a scoop of ice cream there – Ha!

IMG_7840

Here is a comparison between the original mix that came with the skillet and my second attempt.  My second attempt looks pretty gooey because it was still hot.  It had good flavor but sorry to say, not as tasty as my first (run all over the oven) attempt.  I will not give up!

IMG_7838  IMG_7842

Here are my third and fourth attempts.  These two taste more like the original – more cakey than cookie.  Although, the fourth attempt has more flavor than the third.  It will actually make a good single serving cake recipe.  Only one problem – I WANT COOKIE, NOT CAKE!  I know……………....just keep swimming.

IMG_7873  IMG_7877

Ok, this is not going so well.  Attempt #5 was another big boil over in the oven, but now I’ve wised up and put a cookie sheet under my attempted cookies.  I thought about it the first time, never did it, talked to my sister and she stated that I should put a cookie sheet underneath.  So, between her thought and my thinks, the cookie sheet gets place underneath, every time!  It looks a mess, but it sure has good flavor.  Oh, and did I mention that all this is my sisters fault for giving me the mini cast iron skillet for Christmas.  See, all her fault!

IMG_7878  IMG_7879

IMG_7880

Ok, I’m going to give this a rest, for a short time.  In the meantime, who knows, maybe the Pioneer Woman will happen upon this blog and come to my rescue on how to make a delicious, chocolate chip cookie in a 5”, cast iron skillet.  Oh, and I would like the recipe to use 1-2 tablespoons of butter, 1 egg and just enough dough to fill the mini skillet.  Keeping my fingers crossed! 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I guess there won't be a dull moment until you get this mastered, but i'm sure you will do it. IF at first YOU don't succeed......Max