Saturday, December 21, 2013

Homemade Sweetened Condensed Milk

You see homemade sweetened condensed milk recipes all over the internet…….we’re talking, like thousands of recipes.  I came across one at the “Dessert Now, Dinner Later”, blog and decided to give it a try.  From start to finished, it proved to be a winner.  Right at the beginning, after you first make it, it is really runny.  You’re first thought might be……ok, is this stuff going to work?

IMG_7745

I placed it in the refrigerator overnight and when morning came, I got it out and it was a thick glop.  Again I thought…….Ok, is this stuff going to work?

IMG_7754

I decided to leave it on the counter and let it come to room temperature.  Not long after setting it on the counter I came back in, gave it a stir, and let’s say “happy dance”…..no more wondering….. is this stuff going to work?  It had the exact same texture as the sweetened condensed milk you purchase in cans.

IMG_7757

I knew right away that I wanted to make a cheesecake.  After putting all the ingredients in a bowl and starting the mixing process, once again, it mixed up just like my recipe does using the canned sweetened condensed milk.

IMG_7759

Ok……………so far, so good.  But, how will it hold up in the crust?  For my crust, I used a prepared shortbread crust that I purchased from our local grocery store.  And from the moment of pouring it in the crust and spreading it out, it looked wonderful.

IMG_7760  IMG_7761

After placing it back in the fridge for approximately 5 hours to set up, I topped it with strawberry pie filling and it was done. 

IMG_7770  IMG_7771

All there was left to do now was the taste test.  Did it pass, you might ask?  YES, YES, YES!

IMG_7775  IMG_7777

Capture

Capture

1 comment:

Seth and Natalie said...

I really love sweetened condensed milk, but have never even thought about making it from scratch. I might have to give this a try!