Saturday, December 7, 2013

Blue Heron

I needed to drive into town today and while there, I decided to take a little drive.  I went to the mine hill bridge, just because…....there was just a skiff of snow last night that added a touch of beauty to the water and its surroundings.

IMG_7637

IMG_7638

IMG_7645

IMG_7649

As I was moving my camera around the area looking to see what came into view, I noticed something on the other side of the river.  I took my camera down and noticed a large bird.  I hurried and put my camera back up to get a picture but I was zoomed in too far and it was quite blurry.  I could tell he was going to fly so I hurried and zoomed back out, just in time to get him flying off.  I’m not sure, But I’m thinking this large bird was a blue heron.  As he was flying off, he made the most awful sound……like something you would hear in a science fiction movie.  I got on the internet to see if I could hear the sound again.  I found the sound here.  If you scroll down about half way and click on the sound feature of the croaking call recorded by Michael J. Andersen, you will hear what I heard.  What a sound – huh!

IMG_7639

IMG_7641

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good pics. I really like the blue heron's. We see them quite often on our rides. Keep up the good work....Max