Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Dryer Lint Fire Starters

I had a bunch of lint that I had been gathering from my dryer so today I decided to make some fire starters.  I searched the internet to find the correct procedure on how to do this and come to find out, it was really simple.  All you do is pack dryer lint in the compartments of an egg carton, melt some wax (I used paraffin canning wax) and pour it in each compartment, over the lint.  It took approximately 1 square or 1/4 lb. of wax per egg carton.  As you can see in the bottom right-hand corner of the bottom egg carton, one of the fire starters is missing. I used it to see how well they burn.  On the internet, it states that each one will burn approximately 15 minutes.

IMG_4962

IMG_4961

For ease of storage, I decided to cut apart the egg cartons.  This way we can just dump them in any container and use them in lots of places.  I thought we could put some with our camping equipment, by the fireplace, in the car for emergencies, in our 72-hour kits, etc.

IMG_4964

Dryer Lint Fire Starters

The Next video is self explanatory.  Sometimes, as the saying goes, LESS IS MORE, as you will observe.

Dryer Lint Fire Starters pt. 2

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hmmmm the internet told you the same thing I did, imagine that. They work great. We use them at our cabin to light the wood burning stove. Max

Amber Sayer Walker said...

Did they burn as long as the internet said they should?

Seth and Natalie said...

So they look gross but seem to work great. Way to be all sorts of prepared Marsha!