Sunday, January 8, 2012

House of Refuge

I think I'm starting a butterfly/moth house of refuge.  Remember "Odis"?  Well, we have another little visitor in our home that decided to make his little cocoon and hang around for awhile.  My husband and I noticed this cocoon about a month ago hanging from the ceiling by our back door.  I'd forgotten about it until yesterday when I looked up at the ceiling and once again noticed our little friend.  I don't have a clue what lies inside but I'm sure it pretty small.  The cocoon is only 3/4" long.  Hopefully, I'll be around when Odis and what's his name decide to emerge from their secure little hiding place.  With my luck, they will emerge when all the other moths seem to make it in the house during warm, summer nights and I won't know who is who.  Although, Odis, I will recognize because I do know that he is a leafy spurge hawkmoth.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

that is strange to have one in a house its cool -- jan

Anonymous said...

Yuk, if you hadn't old me what it was I wouldn't have known for sure what to think of it. The only thing I know for sure, is I am glad I don't have anything that looks like that hanging from my ceiling. Max

Seth and Natalie said...

I wouldn't have recognized it as a cocoon and probably swatted it down with the broom. I hope you get to see what it looks like.