Friday, October 4, 2013

Homemade Crabapple Butter

Two weeks ago, today, I gave a shot at making crabapple butter.  My husband remembered his mother making crabapple butter and how good it tasted and asked if I would make some.  I had read all over the internet that it is a lengthy process but after my husband picked all the apples, I dove in.  First of all, it starts out just like applesauce, which I have made several times.  After you get your applesauce mixture you add sugar, cinnamon, and other spices.  I wished I would have written down what I used cause it actually turned out tasting really good.  I guess this is one time where dump and taste wasn’t a good idea because I have a recipe that turned out good and don’t have a recipe – Agh!  Anyways, the part of making crabapple butter that I didn’t like was standing over the stove for such a long time.  You have to cook it down to a thickened state, on a lower heat, stirring, stirring, and stirring.  I cooked it for a little over three hours, stirring every five minutes.  This might be my husbands first and last batch.  I know, I say that thinking that when the crabapples come back on next year, I will be at it again. 

IMG_7126

IMG_7123

No comments: