Friday, August 12, 2011

Fresh Garden Salad...Mmm

I mentioned a few posts back how much we love eggs in our salads.  Actually, we like a lot of stuff in our salads.  Where the garden is producing so well, I basically have a salad everyday.  There's nothing better than a good, garden fresh salad.  First of all, I start with a lettuce mix and spinach as my base.
 Then I get all my toppings ready, using fresh peas, broccoli, bottled beets (from last years garden), kidney beans, eggs, and cheese.  I usually have fresh cauliflower and zucchini too but I didn't have any in the house.  Oh, and I like raisins but I used them all up on my last salad.

Mmm-m-m-m-m, mmm, mmm.....looks good enough to eat, huh!
 

Now, for the final touch.....homemade Ranch - er packaged ranch that you add milk and mayonnaise to.  I found a recipe for buttermilk dressing that claims you will never buy the bottled dressing again.  I haven't made it yet but it is on the top of my list.
 

Here is the recipe for the buttermilk dressing found at:

Buttermilk Dressing
3/4 cup mayonnaise
1/2 cup buttermilk
1 tsp parsley flakes
1/2 tsp dried minced onion
1/2 tsp salt
dash of freshly ground pepper
1 clove garlic, crushed
Mix all ingredients. Cover and refrigerate at least 2 hours to blend flavors. Cover and refrigerate any remaining dressing.
*For Buttermilk Parmesan Dressing: Add 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese and 1/2 tsp paprika

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your salad looks really good. I like salads also. Is this comment better than the other one. I even used punctuation and periods.

Seth and Natalie said...

Seth said to throw a few steak bits in there. Your salad looks very very good. We've had a lot of lettuce and radishes from our garden, but that's all we've harvested so far.
PS maybe just put a whole steak underneath all that :)