Friday, July 8, 2011

You Be The Judge

I ventured out again this morning, using a different camera and my tripod to see if I could get some better pictures of the Western Kingbirds.  It states on the Internet that the Kingbirds frequently use telephone poles, fence posts, and other man-made structures for nesting.  It didn't take me long to find their nest on the pole right next to the wires they generally sit on.

  The name kingbird is derived from their "take-charge" behavior. These birds aggressively defend their territory, even against much larger birds such as hawks.  I watched this behavior this morning as a robin landed on the wire next to their nest on the pole.  It amazed me to witness this aggressiveness as they seem like such sweet birds.  I guess as the old saying goes: looks can be deceiving.
I'm thinking these first pictures must be of the male bird.  Looks like he got up first thing this morning, forgot to comb his hair and then does the manly thing......smells the armpits......you be the judge.



All the while, his cute little bride sits patiently near by....isn't love grand.



                  

No comments: