Sunday, September 4, 2016

Sunday Hymns Concert

My husband had a meeting after church today so I thought I would go in the Relief Society.  When he usually has his meetings, to kill time, I go in the Relief Society room and straighten up the chairs and play (try to play) the piano. 
To my surprise, when I opened the door, there was the most beautiful piano music coming from the room.  Heather Gamett, who used to be in Young Women’s when I was the President, and has since been on a mission, was sitting at the piano and playing some of the most beautiful music I have heard in a long time.  I was in awe at how beautiful it was.  She was playing hymns but in her own style.  She said she plays the piano on her own….kind of by ear.  She said she can’t really play too good when she plays out of the hymn book because she doesn’t read the music too well.  I was amazed at how someone could play music so moving, not knowing how to read the music well.  I asked her how she did it and she said it was hard to explain.  She said she just feels the music in her….like she can hear it in her head and she can play it. 
She asked me what my favorite song was…one she wasn’t too familiar with but you’d swear she’d been playing it for years.  We’re not just talking about plucking out notes here and there, we’re talking beautiful music like you would hear at a concert, or played by someone famous.  It was like….bring you to tears, music.  She actually played several hymns for almost a half hour and then we just sat and talked for a bit. 
What a special young lady.  I took a picture with my Kindle and asked her permission to post about her on my blog. 
One of my most favorite Sundays, ever!  Music often brings out such a spiritual feeling that moves me in ways whereas sometimes spoken words fail.

KINDLE_CAMERA_1472652065000

3 comments:

Barb said...

Hi Marsha,

I agree, nothing stirs my souls like music. Some of our hymns are more like very sacred prayers...I love them. How lucky you were to get a personal concert, from an amazing and talented young woman! Vmery moving post, sweet friend.

Hugs,
Barb

LeAnn said...

I love music and it bring the spirit like nothing else can sometimes. I would have found joy in this moment also. She does sound so gifted. I have a granddaughter that can play music with such feeling; it brings me to tears. Loved this one! Hugs~

daiseedeb said...

What a wonderful experience. Sweet Sister Gammet really shines, doesn't she? I am so not surprised that such beautiful hymns flow out of her like that. ; )