Tuesday, September 20, 2016

Big Garden Freeze - But All Was Not Lost

I went to Utah on September 6th to visit family, go through bunches of STUFF that had been stored in my grandparents home, and help my sister with some canning.  We ended up canning pickled beets, snapping/freezing beans for her and canning peaches for me.  I know I’ve said many times how much I do not like canning but the end results are beautiful……well…..this time, my sister, her husband, my daughter, and I were all canning together and it was actually fun…all of it!
The morning of my departure, our garden took a hit with frost.  Lots of frost. Thank goodness we already picked, snapped, and froze all our beans and  we had also picked and froze our corn on the weekend before the freeze.  I guess we can owe that to the coons because on Friday night there was a huge raccoon sitting on our back porch so my husband thought we’d better get all the corn picked before the coon got it. Never thought I would be thanking the coons for helping in harvesting our garden.

IMG_3258-001

IMG_3259-001

My husband has grass that encloses our entire garden and you can see how white it is.

IMG_3260

IMG_3262-001

IMG_3264-001

IMG_3266-001

IMG_3269-001

IMG_3272-002

IMG_3273-001

Below is the back window of our car……..just to show you how much frost we received.

IMG_3278-001

When I got home from Utah, 9 days later, my husband stated that all was not lost.  There were some hearty veggies that pulled through getting snipped by the frost………cabbage, broccoli, beets and zucchini (although our zucchini didn’t really do too good)..and of course, our potatoes.  My husband puts in many hours tending to our garden and then I do most of the freezing and canning of the veggies.  The Lord truly blesses us each year with a bountiful garden.

2 comments:

Barb said...

Hi!

Oh my goodness, you really got frozen! I'm so glad that some of your produce made it through! What a beautiful garden!! I'm just a little jealous... ;0) We have only had one very light freeze this year, but I know it will come!

You are a very sweet sister to go and help with canning, I'll bet there were more than a few giggles involved!

Hugs,
Barb

Anonymous said...

It was fun doing beets for me and peaches for you. It really went fast with all of us helping and was fun. Didn't even feel like work. Really enjoyed your visit...Max