Monday, October 13, 2014

Salmon, Idaho Road Trip

My husband asked me if I wanted to go for a ride last Saturday and head to Salmon, Idaho.  We thought the leaves would be turning and hoped for a scenic drive along the Salmon River.  Although the leaves around our home were pretty in all their brilliance of yellow, orange and a touch of red, our expected drive of colors was a bit disappointing.  It was a nice drive but we were a little early for the change of colors.  However, there were a few pretty spots here and there.  On the way up, I didn’t take too many pictures because it was still a little early and the sun was hidden behind mountains, rocks, and hills.  Some of the rock formations and colors were pretty awesome and since I was doing the driving, I stopped right in the middle of the road to get a picture or two.

IMG_9673

IMG_9674

One of the first places we stopped at as we were entering the town of Salmon was Ack’s Auction & Second Hand Trading Post.  We stopped at this place another time a few years back and found some pretty fun deals but on Saturday, nada, nada.

IMG_9675

As we were walking along the back of a row of stores, I spotted an old building with the window broken out.  I thought it was pretty cool but my husband, not so much.  He just looked at it as an old building with a broken window but I look at things a lot different while camera is in tote.  He did however stand and wait patiently while I took my picture. 

IMG_9676

After going to a few more stores and out to lunch, we decided it was time to head home.  On the way home, I spotted on the top of a mountain, a flag waving in the distance.  As we got closer, I noticed it was an American Flag and I thought how cool it was that someone would climb that mountain and rock formation to raise the Flag. 

IMG_9677

IMG_9678

Another point of interest was this little, blue building.  Out in the middle of nowhere, stands this building, which happens to be a Post Office.  My husband, many years ago, used to be a substitute driver for a mail route and this was one of his stops.  He stated that it really wasn’t a town so-to-speak but there were a few homes scattered about.  Wikipedia writes it as this:  Ellis is an unincorporated community in Custer County, Idaho, United States. Ellis is located on U.S. Route 93 15.5 miles (24.9 km) northeast of Challis. Ellis has a post office with ZIP code 83235.

IMG_9680

As we got closer to Challis, I did take a few pictures but by that time, the clouds had rolled in and the sun wasn’t too bright so I didn’t get the pictures I was hoping for but…………………….

IMG_9681

IMG_9682

IMG_9684

It was a fun drive and it was nice getting away for a bit but what it all came back to, was that the most beautiful part of our drive was arriving back in our own stomping grounds and being welcomed home by our little pets.

IMG_9685

IMG_9686

IMG_9691

IMG_9695

2 comments:

Amber Sayer Walker said...

Looks like you had a fun day! Wish I could have come! I like road trips!... unless they're 28 hours through waste land to get to Texas, that is...

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you had a nice time. You got some pretty pictures....Janis....