Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Homemade Fly Strips

It seems like the past few weeks our home is being targeted with annoying fly’s.  I found a place on the net that had a homemade recipe for making your own fly paper strips.  It stated to use equal amounts of honey, sugar and water to make a mixture for dipping brown paper bag, strips.  I followed the recipe exactly…except for one thing.  I did not have honey so I substituted Karo syrup.  After cutting bag strips, punching holes, attaching strings, cooking mixture and making my fly strips…they were ready to hang for some dripping and setting-up-time.  Where – oh – where to hang the strips.  Finally I thought to put newspaper on the floor by the stove and tape my fly strips to the oven handle to drip and eventually thicken up.

IMG_9403

It was time to hang my fly strips.  I hung one in each of our dining room windows and one over the dining room table.

IMG_9427

IMG_9426

They look so much better than hanging regular fly strips.  After hanging for quite some time, I hadn’t noticed a single fly landing on the strips.  But wait…..the fly’s did come and they were all over the strips…………but nothing was happening.  I had just made a non-stick park/playground for my little fly’s.  Not a single fly was sticking to the fly strips.  It was really tacky, but not the kind of tack needed to catch fly’s.  I finally took them down, went to town and bought regular non-attractive fly strip, which ARE doing what they were made to do.  Some day, I will try again to make the fly strips but I will get some honey as the recipe called for.  Whether honey will do the trick as opposed to using the Karo syrup…………..Hope So!

1 comment:

daiseedeb said...

I was getting pretty excited reading about these, and am really bummed they didn't work. ; (