Friday, January 10, 2014

Barrow’s/Commons Goldeneye Females

Once again, I needed to go to the post office today and get a package for my husband.  Afterwards, I decided to make a quick trip to the mine hill bridge to see if the Barrow’s Goldeneye Duck that I saw on Wednesday was still there.  On the way to the bridge, there is this quaint, old cabin that sits just a little ways off of the road.  I pulled in the lane today and took a photo of it.  Just to the right-hand side of the door, there is a sign that says….Ceadcrville Canyon.  I’m wondering is it should read Ceaderville Canyon…………?????????????
IMG_7930
When I got to the bridge, I didn’t see the Barrow’s Goldeneye like I had seen earlier but I did see two females.  Females are much harder to distinguish if they are a Commons or a Barrow’s Goldeneye.  They are not a very large duck but I think they are quite pretty and it was fun watching them swim.  They dove under the water a few times but nothing like the male I took pictures of earlier.  It was a pretty sunny day and the water was beautiful, although it was a bit windy on the bridge.
IMG_7934

IMG_7936

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

They are real cuties. They are are hard to tell the difference between the two species, but still cute...Max

Seth and Natalie said...

I have no idea which is which, but their eyes are kind of freaky. I like the little cabin, I don't think I've ever noticed it before.