Saturday, November 19, 2011

Northern (Red Shafted) Flicker Woodpecker

I have tried many times in the past few years to get a photo of a woodpecker on one of our white birch trees on our yard.  Every time I would try to get a picture, the woodpecker would scramble around the trunk, not giving me a clear view to get a photo.  Well, today I went to the Christmas Bazaar with a friend and after I took her home and was headed home myself, I spotted this Northern (Red-Shafted) Flicker (male) on a tree in town.  I immediately pulled off to the side of the road, hoping to finally get my woodpecker photo.  I was a ways from him but low and behold, he stayed on the trunk and let me shoot away.  As I drove off, I thought to myself....he didn't seem too afraid so I circled around the block to see if I could get a better shot.  This time he wasn't impressed and flew away.  At least I did get my woodpecker photos, albeit, not the best photos but........................!

1 comment:

Seth and Natalie said...

I think these photos are great and so vibrant! We used to have a woodpecker at our house we lived by Cindy, but that was a log house so we didn't really want him there. Now we have no trees, so no birds.