Saturday, December 9, 2017

Thanksgiving With Blue Skies And Traffic

For Thanksgiving this year, we traveled to Utah.  We went to my sisters home and our daughter, who lives in Provo, also came and joined us.  Thanksgiving with family and great food was all I could ask for.  It was a great, short trip, but well worth the drive. 
For photos, I forgot to even get my camera out and take any pictures of Thanksgiving dinner, but I sure got enough pictures of the ride down to Utah and our ride back home.  I love taking pictures of the sky.  From one moment to the next, the sky gives you such a variety of cloud formations.  I also got some pictures of traffic...............YUCK...........living where we do, I'm sure not used to the traffic.
Traffic, traffic, traffic...........everywhere we looked!
Starting out, it was pretty gloomy and the sun was trying its best to peek through the clouds.
But the further we went, more and more of the sun made its way through.
 
 
According to Wikipedia, these next clouds are defined as lenticular clouds.  Here is the definition from Wikipedia:
Lenticular clouds (Altocumulus lenticularis in Latin) are stationary clouds that form in the troposphere, typically in perpendicular alignment to the wind direction. They are often comparable in appearance to a lens or saucer.
There are three main types of lenticular clouds: altocumulus standing lenticular (ACSL), stratocumulus standing lenticular (SCSL), and cirrocumulus standing lenticular (CCSL), varying in altitude above the ground. Because of their unique appearance, they have been brought forward as an explanation for some unidentified flying object (UFO) sightings.
As we traveled further, nearing Utah, the traffic started.  And the fact that we went through "5" construction zones really slowed our traveling.
And not including construction, the traffic was just...................
And, to top it off, a truck (SEE DETAILS HERE) hauling cattle took to sharp of a turn on the freeway at an overpass and overturned. Because of all the cattle on the top overpass and the cattle that fell to the lower part of the freeway, the freeway was totally closed for hours.  We were able to exit the freeway along with many others and it took us 3-4 times to get through each red light.  Aghhhhhhhhhhhh! 
I sure would not have liked being in the truck in front of us.  That was a lot of smoke he was blowing out his window.
Once we got back on the freeway, there was still a lot of traffic...going both ways.
I again turned my focus to the clouds.  Much more interesting than traffic.
Later in the evenings, the skies were beautiful.  The skies hold and give us so much to see if we only look up.  Sunrises, sunsets, stars, sun, moon, cloud formations......ETC.
And even some hang gliders. I took this picture at the "Point of the Mountain" as we were leaving Lehi, Utah.
As we entered Idaho, it was sure good to see cattle out grazing in the field.  I'll take cows over traffic, any day.
Ahhhh, back to beautiful scenery without cars, buildings, and traffic pollution. 
I'm not saying that cars, buildings, and traffic are bad, I'm just pointing things out from my perspective and the type of surroundings I am used to. I guess I'm just a country girl that loves wide open spaces.

3 comments:

Barb said...

Hi Marsha~

Those skies are gorgeous...and the, Lenticular cloud really does look like a flying saucer, you can see how Soneone could get confused! Your photos are so pretty!

I hate traffic too! We avoid, Utah like the plague...not that we don't like to go there, but we hate the traffic. Some of my family for stuck in the, cow accident as well. What a horrible thing to have to encounter...that was sad. Ill bet the guy in the, smoky truck, was vapping. I see that a lot here, very disgusting.

I'm so glad you had fun! Its always good to travel for Thanksgiving, but really, th eres no place like home.

The sunset and the mountains, two of my favorite things to take pictures of...nice sunset, brliant colors!!

Have a wonderful Sunday!

Hugs and Love,
Barb

LeAnn said...

I am a country girl too and I hate all the traffic. I don't take the freeway unless I have too. I heard about the semi tipping over and the cows. I felt sad about the cows being killed or hurt.
You to some fantastic photos of the sky. Clouds are amazing. I enjoyed reading about them again after so many years. We do have some lovely sunsets here.
I am happy you came down and had a good Thanksgiving.
Blessings and hugs!

Welcome to the Garden of Egan said...

I hear ya! I hate traffic. Since we moved even having to go to Rexburg to work is too much traffic.
I read about that wreck. So tragic.

Love your lesson on clouds. And your beautiful pictures of home.