Saturday, December 16, 2017

Christmas Entryway Desk and Horseshoe Tree

Usually I decorate my entryway desk and horseshoe tree with more glittery and cutesy stuff during the Christmas Season.  This year I decided to make it all about Christ and decorated everything around the Birth of Christ.  I have more nativities but I didn't want it to be overly cluttered.  I love nativities and the feeling they bring into our home as opposed to all the glitter and glitz decorations.  Don't get me wrong, I still like the Christmassy decorations but it's nice this year to just feel something different when I walk by the desk/tree.  Most of the nativities and decorations have a story to tell and have a special place in my heart.
First off, let's start with the horseshoe tree.  I had all glittery ornaments on to begin with but then wanting to keep with the nativity theme of decorating, I took three nativity ornaments off of my Christmas tree to put on the horseshoe tree.
For the life of me, I can't remember if this clay ornament was given to me or if I purchased it myself.  I'm thinking it was given to me from my daughter, but.....................
To get the Santa with the Baby Jesus ornament, many years ago, my father and I (can't remember if anyone else was with us, or not) went to the mall in Orem, Utah, specifically to see if I could find this particular ornament.  I can't ever remember my father shopping with me, other than going to a mall in Salt Lake, City, as a child, and this one time.  Yep, special ornament, for sure!
I purchased this wooden nativity for no other reason than I Just Liked It!
I liked the wooden Nativity ornament so much that several years ago for Christmas, I used the idea of it and using our scroll saw, I made several larger wooden Nativities and gave them away for Christmas presents.  And of course, I kept one for myself.
Right in front of the horseshoe tree, I place my nativity crystal that lights up and changes colors.  It looks like it is hiding the horseshoe tree, but it really isn't.....only if you get down on eye level to take a picture.
 
My mother gave me the next two nativities.  Not too long after getting married, my mother and I went to a craft show in Lehi, Utah where I fell in love with the wooden nativity.  It folds shut and the star shows through a round circle cut out in the doors and there are holly berries painted on both doors.  Geese, I can't just sit here and tell you about it, I will go and take a picture and add it to the photo line-up.....ha!  I had no idea she purchased this one for me.  She surprised me with it at a later time.
The porcelain nativity that is sitting in front of the wooden nativity was also a surprise from my mother.  We went to a department store in Lehi, Utah, called Broadbent's.  During Christmas time, this store is decorated to the MAX.  It is beautiful during the holiday season.  Once again, I mentioned how pretty I thought it was and the next thing I knew, it was mine.  My mother was just that way...she really got enjoyment out of serving others.  Oh, I forgot to mention that this porcelain nativity is also a trinket box.  Ok, I will need to take another picture.  Yes, I'm having fun.
 
This little tree is made from a little clay pot, half a styrofoam ball, moss, a cinnamon stick, fake pine garland, bows, ribbon flowers and a wooden star.  I made these one year for all my friends and I kept one for myself and have placed it with all my nativities.  To me, it brings both worlds together...Christ, and knowing that Christ will always be in Christmas, and the pleasure I get of giving to others.
In this next photo, I love the picture of the Christmas tree shape with the verse from Luke 2. I found this on the internet one year and it was a free graphic so I printed a bunch, put them in frames and gave them out as gifts.  The photo of Joseph, Mary, and baby Jesus was a gift to me.  Love it.  The "Let Him In", key and the Star of Bethlehem, were gifts given last year and this year from our Stake Relief Society presidency. 
And lastly, is a plaque that was not originally part of my decorations.  We went to our ward Christmas party the other night and these little plaques were all over the tables.  They announced for each family to take one home after the evening of dining, singing, a short program, and Santa.  How did they know to make something that would fit so perfectly with my nativity themed desk/tree?!

2 comments:

LeAnn said...

You are amazing! I loved all the photos of your unique decorations. I always love the creative way that you decorate your horseshoe trie; so cute. I love Nativities too so I have about 3 larger ones and several small ones spread thoughtout my home. I love the ones your Mom gave you; I know that you treasure them. Aren't Mothers wonderful for creating memories for us in our later years. I also loved that you shared different ways that you received your remarkable deocrations.
Merry Christmas thoughts being sent your way; hugs~

Barb said...

Hi Marsha~

Your decorations are so pretty! I especially love the wooden Nativity that closes, it's just beautiful! I love how you always do something so pretty with the "horseshoe tree". The stories of shopping with your folks are just precious, those are good memories. I have several Nativities, but my favorite this year is the cardboard re-make of the old cardboard Nativity that we got many, many years ago, do you have one? I like the old one better, but the new one is very pretty as well. Keeping the Christmas Spirit by keeping, Christ in Christmas is a very good thing.

Your cute Lindor chocolate gift is adorable! We gave them to our ladies as well, only with a little note with part of the December VT lesson attached. Don't you just love those yummy little chocolaty treats?!

Beautiful post!

Hugs and Love,
Barb