Friday, May 8, 2015

The Book of Mormon – Keystone of our Religion & Hershey Nugget Scriptures

I am currently the 2nd counselor in Relief Society, in our ward.  This week, I am in charge of giving the lesson.  The lesson is titled: “The Book of Mormon – Keystone of our Religion”.  This lesson contains some of the information given in a talk by Ezra Taft Benson, President of the Church, back in October of 1986.  By preparing for this lesson, I have learned much, and what I already knew, was reaffirmed.
When I give a lesson, I enjoy making handouts to go along with the lesson topic.  Since this lesson was about the Book of Mormon, I decided to make some Hershey Nugget scriptures.  For my scripture, I added what we, as Latter-Day Saints, refer to as the Book of Mormon promise, found in Moroni 10:3-5.
IMG_0604
IMG_0606
These were very easy to make and for anyone who would like to make them, here is how I did it:

1. Find a scripture you would like and print it inside of a text box, measuring 2-1/4” x 1-1/16”.  Make sure when you cut them out, you trim off the outer black edge.

image
2. For the book base, cut rectangles from cardstock, measuring 2” x 1-1/2”.  For the ribbon marker, cut 1/8” ribbon pieces measuring 2-1/2” long and cut one end on a diagonal.
IMG_0607
MY INSTRUCTIONS:
1. Put a regular piece of Scotch tape on 1/2 of the bottom of one nugget bar.
IMG_0608
2. Turn the nugget bar over and place another nugget bar right next to the nugget bar, covering the other piece of tape.
IMG_0609
3. Turn the nugget bars over and using scotch tape, tape a piece of ribbon to the top edge of the bars, making sure to center the ribbon where the two bars meet.
IMG_0610
4. Using double-sided tape, place 3 strips of tape on one side of the cardstock base.  (UPDATE...the double sided tape did not hold very well so I removed the Hershey bars from the cardstock and put one 1/2" glue dot in the middle then replaced the bars.  The glue dots seem to hold more firmly) You don’t have to be too particular about this because it gets covered up.
IMG_0612
5. Place the nugget bars evenly over the taped side of the cardstock.
IMG_0614
6. Take the scripture paper and fold it in half.
IMG_0615
7. Turn the scripture paper over and put 2 strips of double-sided tape on each end, and one smaller strip in the middle.  Once again, it doesn’t need to be too exact because it too will be covered up.
IMG_0617
9. Place and push the folded scripture in the center of the nugget bars, making sure the top part of the writing is facing towards the ribbon end.
IMG_0620
10. Lay the scripture paper over your nugget bars and press the taped ends on the edges of the bars.
IMG_0621
11. Put a small amount of double-sided tape towards the middle of the ribbon and tuck the ribbon between the middle of the nugget bars.
IMG_0622
You’re done – that’s it.  It seems like a long process but it actually goes fairly quick.  Just think of all the possibilities you can do with these nugget books.  You could make a little story book for children (just be careful giving them to younger children as the small pieces could cause a choking hazard), an appreciation gift for school teachers, a gift for your local librarian…………………………

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I bet the ladies really enjoy your lessons and all the cute handouts you do..Max

Barb said...

Hi Marsha~

I love that idea! I love to give handouts too, it just makes it fun, and I think they remember what you taught. We made these one time in YW, but you made it look much easier than our were. I also liked the scripture you put on yours - it's one that we all need to memorize!

I'll bet you are a great teacher! Good luck with your lesson!

Happy, Happy Mother's Day!!

Hugs,
Barb

Deb J. in Utah said...

Hi - I am a new visitor to your blog, coming from Barb's Blog! I teach R.S. and next week, my lesson is on The Book of Mormon. This is such a cute, delightful handout. I may have to be a copy cat. ;-) Thanks for the simple, step-by-step instructions. This is great. I also read your post about the Payson Temple. My daughter lives in Mapleton, so the Payson temple is her temple. They are planning to go to the open house this Tuesday. It was fun to visit your blog. I will definitely be back!

Amber Sayer Walker said...

Cute, cute, Mom! They turned out great!

LeAnn said...

I think this is such an adorable idea that you so much for the tutorial.
I love President Benson's lessons this year. He married my husband and I almost 48 years ago. We visited him in his office a couple of years later per his request; it was so fun.
I love the Book of Mormon and that is our lesson for tomorrow.
Hugs for this one!

Seth and Natalie said...

I am so glad you are in Relief Society now, mainly because you make things extra super fun.