Saturday, May 16, 2015

Kindergarten Graduation Hats

Wednesday, I went to school and made graduation hats for the Kindergarten class.  There are only 14 students so it didn’t take me as long to make them as it had in previous years.  I always made the graduation hats when I was working at the school and since retiring two years ago, I still enjoy making hats for them.  Once everything is measured and cut, the process of making them goes fairly quick…sort of.

IMG_0631

The piece of poster board that has the peak on it is used for the hat band.  Along the edge without the peak, measure up 3/4” and draw a line across the entire length.  After drawing the line, make a cut from the bottom edge up to the line, about every 3/4”. You don’t need to measure these slits…they do not need to be exact.  After cutting all the slits, form a ring (measure around head using a measuring tape) in the size of each childs head and staple it in the back,  Fold all slit tabs inward to the center of the hat band ring.

IMG_0632

Make circle templates of different sizes.

IMG_0646

Take a square or diamond (depending on how you look at it) piece of poster board and trace a circle exactly in the middle.  This will be used as a guide for the placement of the hat band.  Write your student name in the middle of the circle…..it’s much easier to write the name before you glue the hat together.
Using a glue stick, put a layer of glue all around the inside edge of the circle.  Place the hat band over the glued area and press firmly, making sure the hat band peak lines up with the peak of the square/diamond.

IMG_0634

Just for reinforcements, put tape all around the bent slits on the inside, where they don’t show.

IMG_0635

And, that’s it……………all done.

IMG_0636

IMG_0647

The Kinders were gone on a field trip Wednesday and I didn’t have a model to see how the hats would look so I looked in the Kinder cupboard and found a stuffed “something” to try the hat on.

IMG_0639

Below is a detailed instruction sheet on how to make graduation hats.

New

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

The hats are cute. Like your stuffed watch a McCall it..max

Barb said...

Hi Marsha!

Every time I look at your blog, I am amazed at how much alike we are!

When my youngest daughter was in Kindergarten, a friend and I decided that we did not want our little 5 year old daughters riding on a bus with high school kids for 2 hours,(we lived in Blackfoot at the time, and they went to the kindergarten center in town, we lived about 5 miles out of town). So, we decided to teach them! We actually had 10 children, 5 girls and 5 boys. I was such a rewarding experience, I loved it. Jessica would actually call me, teacher, instead of mom... :0)

We struggled when making their graduation hats, I sure wish I would have had this pattern, it's adorable, and looks so easy!

I love that you are involved in their class, they are very lucky!!

Hugs,
Barb

Deb J. in Utah said...

So cute. I remember when my youngest son got one of these...last spring he got the real deal when he graduated from high school and now he is on a mission. Wow time flies. Have fun with the hats!

LeAnn said...

I think these hats are so adorable. Thanks for the tutorial. I will share it with one of my daughters for her pre-school class.
Hugs~!

Seth and Natalie said...

You probably made Rylee's too! Dax looked so great in his hat, thank you, you wonderful woman!