Wednesday, May 20, 2015

Graduation Cap Card – Homemade

I knew I wouldn’t be getting out of town this year to purchase any gifts for graduation, so I opted to just make some cards and place some money inside.  I searched all over the net to find something that would be both appropriate for boys or girls.  I came across a graduation cap, made with one piece of cardstock – BAM – Perfect!  For the most part, I followed their instructions for making my graduation cards.  For the tassel, I just cut a piece of cardboard from a cereal box and wound embroidery floss around it several times then tied it off with white embroidery floss.  I connected the tassel to the top of the card using a red button and a self-adhesive glue dot.

IMG_0676

When you turn the card over, it is all folded up.  You fold it the same way you would do a cardboard box.  You start folding in one flap, followed by each of the other flaps and tucking the last flap edge under the first flap you folded.

IMG_0673

I found a quote by Minor Myers Jr., that I thought would go perfect with graduation.  In Office Word, I made a red border, put a globe inside the border, made a watermark circle that I placed over the glove and then typed the quote on the globe.  I used double-sided roller tape to adhere the saying to the inside of the cap.

IMG_0672

I had a box of 4-3/8” x 5-3/4” envelopes already on hand so I once again used Office Word to create a template that had the student name and a graduation cap with the word congratulations curving under the hat.  The envelopes were the perfect size to put the graduation cards in.

IMG_0677

I had found the template for the graduation cap on the same site, but it wasn’t working for me so I made my own template by using the rounded rectangle shape in Office Word.  I just made two different shapes of the same size and overlapped them.

Capture

These caps take but a few minutes to cut out and put together and it saved me the trouble of going to a store and trying to figure out a gift to buy for the graduates.  This is something I could use every year.  Ahhh, I sure like it when things come together.

IMG_0671

3 comments:

LeAnn said...

These are adorable; thanks for the tutorial. You are very creative.
Blessings~

Anonymous said...

Aren't you the clever one. These are great and something they can even keep that is a little different than a store bought card...max

Barb said...

Hi Marsha!

How adorable! Do you think I could do this, I'm not a card maker?! I really like that they are unique, something they will probably keep. I have only gotten a couple of cards, but that could escalate quickly... :0)

I may have to e-mail you for more instructions if I get stuck!

I see my sweet friend, LeAnn commented - Hi, LeAnn! She is my daughters MIL, and she is a sweetheart, one of my favorite people in the world! You will love her blog too!

Hugs,
Barb