Thursday, May 21, 2015

Frigidaire 13.7- cu ft. Frost Free Freezer

Just a little over a year ago, we needed more freezer space so we purchased a Frigidaire 13.7 cu ft. frost free upright freezer.  For the first year, it ran perfectly and then just a little over a month, after the warranty was out…….you guessed it….the freezer went out.
Capture
I actually thought we had a warranty but when I called the company, they informed me that we did not so I explained the situation and asked if it was too late to purchase the warranty.  Yeah, really….they let me purchase a 3-year warranty for $80.  As a rule of thumb, living out where we live, it cost more than that just to have someone come out and look at something that has broken.  They said they would get in touch with me when they got in contact with someone that worked in this area.  In the meantime, I was calling all over the neighborhood trying to find anyone that had freezer space that would be able to let me put our food in until ours could get fixed.  I was actually able to locate one neighbor that had a freezer that was empty and it fit all of our food so I didn’t have to put our food in multiple freezers to store until ours could get fixed.
My lucky day……..the appliance repair company they had coming out to fix my freezer was “Mr. Appliance”.  I have used this appliance repair company on a couple of other appliances and they are WoNdErFuL!  I was hoping that they would be the company to come to our home.  This was a really quick fix.  All it needed was a new Freezer Electronic Control Board.  He popped out the old one and put the new one in……and it only took about 5-10 minutes.
2015-05-06
I am now back in business……..with a running freezer.  However, it sure would be nice to buy a newer appliance that worked at least 10 years before breaking down.  It’s only been in the past year or two that we have been replacing old appliances that had lasted 20-25 years.  With the “new & improved” appliances, they sure don’t last too long before you need a repairman or a new appliance.  Yep, “new & improved”, that’s what it’s all about.  I would like to just find good old appliances, or anything for that matter, that isn’t totally computerized……give me back the good old days when things were built to last!

3 comments:

LeAnn said...

Amen to this one! They don't make very many things of quality now days. In fact it is irritating. I don't even believe cars are as solid as they used to be.
I am happy that you could get the Warranty so you didn't have to pay as much. Everything comes with a higher price.
My husband and I are getting close to retiring. We decided we need to have a fund saved for things like this; so now I am even more convinced that is a wise thing to do.
Hugs~

Barb said...

Hi Marsha!

Oh, I'm sorry! What a pain for you, but what a blessing that they would let you purchase a warranty, that's amazing!

Our refrigerator went out last last year, and it was only 11 years old. When we went to purchase a new one, the salesman told us that 10 years is the life of a refrigerator or freezer now. I have a fridge in my garage that is almost 30 years old and works like a charm!

I'm so glad you are back in commission!

Hugs,
Barb

Anonymous said...

Yepper they don't make em like they use to For sure. I have one that is at least 30-35 years old. Hip hip for the good old days..max