Sunday, April 21, 2013

Homemade Fabric Softener

Yesterday while surfing Pinterest, I came across THIS BLOG that showed how to make fabric softener using only Epsom Salts and Doterra Essential Oils.  I thought, “how simple is that”.  Since I already had Epsom Salts and Doterra oils on hand, I decided to make me a small batch.  I went by her recommendations and mixed lemon and lavender oils with the salts.  I really liked it but it didn’t give me the smell I was looking for so I added a little lemon grass and wild orange oils to the salts.  I liked it better that way.  It did seem to make my clothes a little softer and the towels and whites that I washed and dried did not have any static in them.  I also use dryer balls so between the mix, my clothes came out really nice.
IMG_5301
I made me a couple of signs to put on the front and back of my softener bottle but I will need to change the ingredients, adding the wild orange and lemon grass oils to the sign.  Guess I was being a little too efficient in making my signs before even trying out the product – huh.?
Capture  Capture-001
All you need is 10 drops (or more) essential oils per 1 cups of Epsom Salts.  Mix/shake well and there you have it, your own fabric softener.  Once again, I went by her recommendations and used 1/4 cup per load of wash and it worked great.  My sign states: 1 scoop per load…..I have an old scoop that came in a canister of hot chocolate and it was just the right size.  Happy Washing!
UPDATE:  The sign on "Ingredients" states: 1 cup Borax.  Do not use Borax.  The correct ingredient is EPSOM SALTS.

1 comment: