Friday, April 12, 2013

Dehydrating Carrots

Last year, my husband and I dried a bunch of carrots and we’ve used them all year in soups.  We just ran out of our dried carrots so this past weekend, we cut and dried a bunch more.  After peeling and washing the carrots, we needed to slice them so we used an old Molinex grinding machine that I received a long, long time ago from hosting a Tupperware party……say, back before I was married.  I know, it’s a very old machine, but it works perfectly.  You just put the carrots in the chute, push down on the plunger, and out come your sliced carrots…….slick and easy.

IMG_5255

IMG_5257

I was slicing the carrots while my husband was loading the trays.

IMG_5251

After loading the trays, they were placed in a food dehydrator that we purchased a few years ago.

IMG_5253

IMG_5259

We still had a shelf to put on the top layer but we ran out of carrots so just for the fun of it, we added a few potatoes to it.  Oooooops, we didn’t soak them in lemon juice water or anything and they turned a little black.  I guess we’ll know better for next time.

IMG_5261

And here we go…..the finished product….already for a soup bath.  It’s amazing how much moisture dries out of things you dehydrate.  They almost disappear to nothing. 

IMG_5284

IMG_5286

2 comments:

rudi48 said...

How do you store the dehydrated carrots and potatoes? jm

Seth and Natalie said...

You and Evan are such a great team! The only thing Seth helps me with is jerky, mainly because I won't make it without him. You two are always in the kitchen together and I love it!