Sunday, April 29, 2012

Vintage Wheat Grinder/Bread Machine

My husband and I went to a preparedness fair in Idaho Falls yesterday morning at 8:30am with our daughter and her husband.  It was quite the production!  The entire gym floor was covered with booths showing different ways to prepare for emergencies plus they had 3-4 different classes (Just Add Water - Warmth & Shelter - Health During an Emergency - Alternative Grains - Gardening in Idaho - Meals on a Shoestring - One for the Money - and Square-Foot Gardening) going every hour that you could attend.  Each couple was given a preparedness book that was 1/2" thick and loaded with information containing anything from recipes, preparedness, gardening, etc, etc, etc.  The fair went till 1pm. 

After leaving the fair, we all went out to lunch and then my husband and I drove to Ucon to purchase a StoveTec, similar to a rocket stove.  With this stove, beside using twigs, pine cones, weeds, etc, you can also use briquettes.  Pretty nice little emergency stove.  I found this picture on the Internet.  Ours looks just like this except it is a newer model that is lined with steel and has a steel covering over the brick on the door.

After we purchased the Stovetec, for the fun of it, we went to an antique store.  At the preparedness fair, my husband was talking with a person about old wheat grinders and you'll never guess what was at the antique store.  Yep, you guessed it, a vintage hand-crank wheat grinder.  The stones in it were in great shape and it grinds wheat perfectly.  Sorry about the 2nd picture being so blurry.  I was trying to get a picture of the wheat flour as it came out of the machine without getting my husbands arm in the picture while he was cranking on the handle.


We also purchased a vintage Double H Breadmaster bread making machine.  We haven't tried it out yet but I found a site on the Internet where a lady talks about one she purchased at an estate sale.  She also had all the instruction on her site that told how to work the machine and it also had some bread recipes.


All-in-all, I'd say we had a pretty good day.  Oh my goodness, I almost forgot to mention the strawberries we bought on a street corner.  I couldn't help myself....I purchased an entire flat.  They are huge a very sweet.  I ground them up and put them in the freezer to use for ice cream topping or to make freezer jam.  Mmmm-m-m-m-m Deelish!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds Like You Had A Busy Day And The Strawberries Do Look Good -- Janis

T-I-F-F-A-N-Y said...

You guys are pretty handy Marsha! I think I know where I'll go when I'm in trouble.... My mom's and then to yours for what she doesn't have :o) Just kidding but this makes me want and need to get more prepared. And those strawberries look amazing, yum

Bridget and Ellyn said...

What great finds. I think it is great that you are so PREPARD!!

Amber Sayer Walker said...

Hey! It was fun to see you this weekend! I'm glad to see that your wheat grinder works so well!