Friday, July 21, 2017

Weeding Tool - Best $1 Garage Sale Find

When I got up this morning, I was looking through the local newspaper and noticed a garage sale approximately 3 miles from my home.  I called a friend, who also likes to go to garage sales, and off we went. 
I spotted a tool and asked the lady who was having the garage sale if it was a weed puller.  She stated that it was, but she also stated that it was a piece of JUNK (replacement word), and said I could have it for $1.  Well, her piece of junk was certainly a treasure for me. 
When I got home, I immediately went to work getting thistle out of our lawn.  Our lawn is totally covered with thistle......I kid you not!  I worked for 1.5 hours getting out thistle before the heat drove me to the house, but in that time, I got a good start on the thistle and will get out early in the morning to finish up the job. 
For the past two years I have had someone come and spray our lawn, only to have the thistle return within a few weeks.  I'm sure the thistle will keep coming back but maybe if I keep on top of it, I can at least keep the top portion our lawn thistle free.
Below are photos that I took of the accomplishment this tool did.  See, I told you, I wasn't kidding when I said we had lots of thistle in our lawn, plus there's still a lot more.
 
This tool is the best dollar I have ever spent at a garage sale.  I like this tool so much that even if it broke, I think I would spend the money to purchase a new one.......costing around $39 (although, you can find a cheaper brand for $17.99....but I don't know how it would hold up). 
The one I purchased (older model) has the word 'Bond' taped on to the post and the top of the handle (the part you push to eject the weed) has...Weed Out - PAT U.S. - Bond - Made in China.
 
Upon further searches on the internet, I found that the BOND company is the one that makes the 'Scott's Weed Out' as found on Amazon, highlighted above for around $39.00. 
Click HERE to see a YouTube video, showing how one similar to the one I bought, works. 

2 comments:

Barb said...

Hi!

I love that you find good deals at garage sales! That tool looks amazing, I haven't watched the video, but I can see that it works great by all those thistles! The darn thistles are bad here too, we fight them all summer . . . good luck with your fun tool!

Hugs,
Barb

LeAnn said...

Wow, thanks for this one! I'm sharing it with my husband. We could use a tool like this one. You really did work hard; I'm impressed. Blessings and hugs!