Tuesday, July 25, 2017

June/July Entrance Chest & Horseshoe Tree Decorations

Ok, so I guess I was being lazy and kept the same decorations in the entryway of our home for the month of June and July.  I never really know what to call the dresser/chest/desk/table, etc., that sits in the entryway and gets decorated each month.  All I know is that I got a steal of a deal on it, purchasing it from a Craigslist, sale.  The minute I saw it, I knew it had to be mine and the exact place it was going to be in our home.
I've called it many different things so today I searched it out and most sites actually call it a Bombay Chest.....so, I will now officially call it a chest, even though it doesn't remotely resemble a chest....hmmm.  Maybe it's a shortened word for "chest of drawers"???.....maybe.  Whatever it's technical name is, IT'S MINE, and I LOVE IT!
Since June has Flag Day...and July has the Fourth of July ( Independence Day), I thought it would work out to just keep the same decorations for both months.  I think for next year, I will try to find a miniature covered wagon to add to it for Pioneer Day.
Where have June and July disappeared to?  Months are literally flying by, and since there is only one week left in July, I thought I'd better post my months decoration blog before Christmas gets here - ha. Can you believe it............Christmas is only "5" months away!
So, here ya have it.................June & July's entryway decorations.
 
 
 
 
 
 
All the above photos are my chest/horseshoe decorations but off in the corner, on the opposite side, I have a fern, sitting on the top of a scrolled, wooden post.
My husband graduated from Utah Technology College (now known as Utah Valley University) in cabinetry and mill work.  For a time, my husband helped make stairway rails, posts, etc., for his brother, who lives in Utah, and is the owner of Salaki Inc.  Below is a picture of one of the posts my husbands brother hired to have made, and below that is a picture with a little different style, but it shows you how some of these posts were used.
 
The post we have is rough cut, never been sanded or had any stain put on it, but for me, it works perfect for a plant stand.
Below are a few examples of the type of posts that my husband made.  When he retires from his regular job, maybe he will have time to do more woodworking.  It has been quite some time since he has actually made anything but who knows what retirement will bring.

2 comments:

Barb said...

Hi!

Wow, wow and wow!! Your husband is very talented, that post is just gorgeous!

I love the chest! It works perfect in an entry, and you always have it decorated so cute! You people who find great deals on, Craigs list...I don't know...its crazy!! My DIL is always finding the best deals there. Thank you for sharing, I was wondering about that chest!

Hugs,
Barb

LeAnn said...

I love the chest and the decorations. I always enjoy the decorations you come up with for your horseshoe. You are very creative. I like the woodworking a lot. I'm impressed with your husbands talent. My made a few wood pieces many years ago. He liked doing them. I hope you huband does do this kind of hobby after he retires. Enjoyed this post! Hugs~