Wednesday, July 19, 2017

Mosquito Killing Spray

Here is a photo of our front door (taken on October 8, 2015).
For some reason, the two large windows on the right and left-hand side of the door seem to attract a variety of pests.  Last year, it was a cat-face spider that hung out for a few weeks.  Even though they are an ugly spider, and according to the net, they are considered harmless to humans but are a good bug control so I just let him hang out there as long as he wanted.  Of course, the bugs, spiders, etc. are on the outside and I take my pictures from inside the house. 
Last week I noticed mosquitoes hanging out in the windows.  Each day there were at least 50+ mosquitoes just sitting on the windows and in the corners of my porch.
Now, here's where the story gets good.  A few months ago, my cousin told me where he had read on the net that you could kill ants with Dawn dish soap mixed with water.  He didn't give me how much Dawn per water was used but I tried this on two large ant beds that were on the edge of our lawn.  I just mixed some water and soap together and sprayed both ant hills, liberally.  It killed the ants almost instantly.
I was trying to think of a way to get rid of the mosquitoes from hanging around our door when it dawned (pun) on me...........hey, if Dawn kills ants, I wonder if it would work on mosquitoes.  Sure enough, I mixed up a spray bottle of the Dawn and water mixture and went to work spraying mosquitoes.  IT WORKED.......like a charm it worked.  Drop, drop, drop.................mosquitoes were falling to the ground as soon as the spray hit them.  I kept looking out to see if they were really dead or just stunned and a few hours later, all the mosquitoes were still laying on the porch, dead.....and other mosquitoes did not come to take their place.
Each day, I get a few mosquitoes that come to the windows but nothing like previously.  And, when they do come, I just get out the spray and ZAP!

3 comments:

Barb said...

Hi!

Thanks for the great tip. I really don't like mosquitos! I wonder if it would work if I sprayed it on my body! We are going camping next week with my family, and I have been looking for a good bug killer...thank you!!

Love the cute table in you entry!!

Hugs,
Barb

LeAnn said...

Wow, thanks for the recipe for getting rid of mosquitos and ants. Awesome and so easy. Loved this tip! Blessings and hugs!

Anonymous said...

I'll have to give it a shot ha ha. Hope it keeps working for you....Max