Monday, February 29, 2016

Brown Sugar Oatmeal Apple Pancakes

I know, this is not a very good picture depicting pancakes, but it wasn’t until after I made my breakfast this morning and had covered my pancakes with syrup and eggs that I decided to write a post about these delicious pancakes.  And I might add, the word delicious is putting it mildly. 

IMG_2377

These are always my go-to family/company pancakes.  I have yet to serve these without someone asking for the recipe.  I originally got the RECIPE, many years ago, from a Taste of Home magazine and it is now available on the internet.  To take these pancakes one step further, making them “Over-the-Top” Brown Sugar Oatmeal Apple Pancakes,  I add 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon and 1 thinly sliced and diced apple (I use Gala apples).  To peel and slice my apples, I use an Apple/Peeler/Corer/Slicer.  I then slice my peeled apple stack into 8th’s.  Per approximate 1/4 cup batter, you will get 9 pancakes.  I occasionally make these on the weekends, and I always double the recipe, keeping the left-overs in the fridge.  We eat them for breakfast almost every morning during the week, until they are gone.   They re-heat really well in the microwave, making breakfast a snap on busy mornings.

BROWN SUGAR OATMEAL APPLE PANCAKES

INGREDIENTS:
1/2 cup wheat flour
1/2 cup white flour
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt (I use sea salt)
1-1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/3 cup packed, brown sugar
1 cup buttermilk
1 egg, beaten
2 T. vegetable oil
1/2 cup plus 2 T. quick-cooking oats
1 sliced/diced apple
DIRECTIONS:
In a large mixing bowl, combine and mix together the flours, soda, salt, cinnamon and br. sugar.  To the flour mixture, add buttermilk, egg, and oil, then mix until combined.  Stir in oats and apple slices.  Pour by 1/4 cupfuls onto a lightly greased, hot griddle.  When bubbles form on top, flip pancakes over and cook the other side until a nice, golden brown.
**You will need to watch these your first time around because they do not bubble on top as much as regular pancakes.

4 comments:

Barb said...

Hi Marsha~

Yum!! Your photo was perfect, it made my mouth water! My husband LOVES pancakes, he would eat them every morning if he could. We are dieting and cannot eat pancakes right now . . . insert very sad face!! But, I will try them as soon as I possibly can, they sound delish!!

Hugs,
Barb

Deb J. in Utah said...

These look so good! Great recipe. Going to give it a try! Thanks and have a great week.

Anonymous said...

I have had your oatmeal hot cakes before and they were yummy but not. Rwtith with apples..I will have to try them

LeAnn said...

Thanks for sharing your recipe; it looks yummy! Blessings and hugs for this one~