Thursday, October 29, 2015

Deer With One Set Of Antlers

I took this photo looking out our dining room window on October 15th.  The strange thing about this picture and the deer only having one antler is that only a day or two before seeing this deer, I looked out my bedroom window and saw a huge moose with only one antler.  The moose, sad to say, was a bit faster at moving off the property than I was going to the other end of the house and retrieving my camera.  Hope he comes back because that would have been a great photo.

IMG_1846

FYI – Since bucks as a norm shed their antlers between January and April, and moose normally shed their antlers between December and March, I’m thinking that this deer and the moose are rare.  Somewhere along the line, something must have happened to cause them to lose their antlers.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Maybe it is all that good Sayer hay they eat. What you spiking it with ha ha.....Max

Deb J. in Utah said...

I have never seen deer with just one antler ~ very interesting!

Barb said...

Hi Marsha!

I love your pictures! It is funny to see this time of year . . . I too wonder what happened?! How many were in your yard/pasture? My goodness you have so much wildlife in your world!

Hugs,
Barb