Saturday, October 3, 2015

Big Beet and Godzilla Potato

A cousin came last week to get some beets and up out of the ground came a huge beet.  Look at the size of that beet.  It’s a good thing when canning beets that size doesn’t matter.  No matter how big they get, the texture and taste doesn’t seem to change.

IMG_1667

Also in that same week, I went out to the garden in the early evening to see what my hubby was up to…..he was digging potatoes.  It didn’t take me long to spot this one sitting on the ground next to other potatoes.  We’re talking a whopping 10” long by 4.5” wide.  A lot of the other potatoes were large but this one…..oh my, this one was the Godzilla of potatoes.  I think we could invite family and friends over for dinner and feed them all off this one potato.  I don’t think our potatoes have ever grown to this size.

IMG_1694

IMG_1695

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

About all that can be said is you sure grow them big up there...Max

Barb said...

Hi Marsha!

Wow, amazing beet! I love pickled beets, that one would fill a jar all by it's self! You guys must have the best soil in Idaho!

I live smack dab in the middle of potato country, and I promise, I have not seen a potato that big this year! That spud would be dinner for two, with left overs for a week! What a wonderful garden!!

Have a wonderful Sunday, enjoy conference!

Hugs,
Barb

LeAnn said...

I love beets and potatoes; so I would love this dinner. That is a whopping big potatoes. My father had a farm and grew potatoes. I remember working in the fields to harvest them. Hugs for the memories~

Deb J. in Utah said...

Wow those are "Idahuge." lol! Nothing like that down this way -- too hot! Have a great week.