Wednesday, September 9, 2015

Raccoons Raided Corn Patch

Friday night, September 5th, the raccoons raided our corn patch.

IMG_1504

IMG_1508

My husband stated that once the coons find your patch they will just keep coming back to your garden.  With this in mind, hubby went out and picked everything……even ears that were not fully formed.

IMG_1503

I cooked some in the microwave and it was so tender and flavorful.  To cook corn in the microwave, you place your un-husked ears of corn (this traps in the heat and moisture) in your microwave and cook on high for approximately 3-4 minutes, per ear, depending on how large your ears of corn are.  Remove from microwave, cut approximately 1/2” off of the corn cobb, from the stem end then grab the top end where the silk is and shake or squeeze to remove your corn from the husk.  This is very easy to do and it gets all the silk off at the same time.  Be sure to use a towel or hot pad when doing this as the corn is very hot.
On Saturday, giving no credit to myself, my husband husked all the corn, cut the kernels off the cobs, blanched and froze a big share of the corn.  My only credit would be cleaning the kitchen…windows…appliances…..HA!

4 comments:

Seth and Natalie said...

That is a lot of corn! Those stinking raccoon. I love how all you did was clean the kitchen afterward, that in itself is a bigger job than the husking/cutting.

Anonymous said...

I guess those raccoons will have a big surprise when they return for another meal...Max

Barb said...

Hi Marsha!

Those dang raccoon!! We have had them in our garden before, and they just raise havoc with everything! We were battling skunks earlier this summer and finally put nets over the tomatoes to save them! You have tons of corn!! I'm going to try cooking it in the microwave, I've never heard of doing cooking it that way!

I froze corn today, and left some for tomorrow, I guess it's that time of year!!

Hugs,
Barb

LeAnn said...

Nothing better than corn on the cob. I will try your microwave and shucking method. You have an awesome husband to do all of that. I can see my dear one loving to do the same. He would love to grow some corn so maybe next year.
Blessings and hugs!