Tuesday, August 11, 2015

The Mackay Miner Newspaper

The other day, my husband happened to come across an old (The Mackay Miner) newspaper.  This newspaper began its journey reporting about Mackay and it’s surrounding areas on February 19, 1906, with its final print coming out on December 25, 1975.  The copy my husband came across was dated March 9, 1961, taking us back 54 years.

IMG_1268

There were a couple of articles/ads that I thought was pretty interesting.  One being a photograph of the near completion of the “American Legion Hall”.

IMG_1298

The other, was this ad, showing the prices for work shirts and grease at the Western Store, which closed its doors last year.  Wow, can you imagine buying two, new cotton work shirts for $3.49

IMG_1267

A report given from the old http://mackayidaho1.blogspot.com, states that the original location of the Mackay Miner Newspaper was in a building that we now know as the Clock Cigar Store.  I took the following photo on April 2, 2013…..the building still stands on our main street.

IMG_5239

If you would like to learn more about “The Mackay Miner”, you can go HERE and HERE.

4 comments:

LeAnn said...

I think it is so fun when you find newspaper history. I loved the articles and especially the last picture of the building. I am kind of a history buff in some ways so I will check out the links.
Hope you are doing better and sending hugs your way.

Anonymous said...

Hi Marsha!!

I love old newspapers! I love to see the prices of yesteryear - I can't even imagine paying 3.49 for a work shirt these days. I have seen that old building many times when we have been in Mackay, I always wondered about it.

Hugs,
Barb

John said...

Hi! I just came across your blog and found it most interesting. Specifically regarding the old MacKay Miner newspaper, I actually purchased a number of them last week at a local thrift store here in Washington. Some of the papers date back to the 1940's and it is most interesting to look at not only the news portion but the advertising. McKay must have been quite the town in the 40's as in one of the editions it had a large advertisement promotion the free annual barbecue!

John said...

In looking through some of my vintage Mackay Miner papers, I have come across advertising for the local Buick, Chevrolet and Frazier dealerships. Penney's was adverting women's nylons for $1.15 Dresses for $3.98! Firestone was promoting Factory Tire recapping for as low as $7 per tire. Fascinating stories and advertising.