Tuesday, August 25, 2015

Pie Cherry Crunch

The first part of August, a couple of friends and I went pie cherry picking.  I filled a small bucket with enough cherries to keep me busy for a little while.

IMG_1237

After getting all those little cherries a bath, it was time to use my cherry pitter machine.

IMG_1243        IMG_1244

This sure makes fast work of pitting cherries.  It allows me to pit 4 cherries at one time just by placing 4 cherries on the base, pushing down on the lid and letting the pits fall in the bottom chamber.  If you do not have a cherry pitter, you can easily remove pits by using a PAPER CLIP, or the round end of a bobby pin.IMG_1245

IMG_1246

I ended up pitting 28 cups…….

IMG_1249

I froze six bags of cherries and left enough out to make a Pie Cherry Crunch.  I had gotten this recipe from a good friend and the recipe called for 4 cups of 1/2” pieces of diced rhubarb.  I had the cherries so I just swapped out equal amounts of cherries for the rhubarb called for in the recipe and the results were amazing.  My husband actually likes the cherry crunch better than the rhubarb, but I like them both.  They are both equally great…….mmmmmm, mmmmm!  Hmmm, a thought just came to me….I wonder what it would taste like to mix equal amounts of cherries and rhubarb in the recipe.   

Capture

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I bet mixing them would taste good. One way to find out TRY it...Max

Deb J. in Utah said...

Wow, that cherry pitter is super neat! Cherries are not a big thing around here, but I know in Utah and Idaho, Cherries are plentiful and delicious. Your recipe sounds wonderful. Thanks for sharing and have a great day!

Barb said...

Hi Marsha!

How are your doing? Hows the knee? I hope that you are healing . . . and it sounds like you are if you are picking cherries!! The cherry crunch sounds yummy and easy too, I like easy... :0) I love cherries, but Bob doesn't, so I'll have to make one all for me! I wonder if you could use peaches?!

Once, for some reason I'm still not sure about, I ordered a flat of cherries. They were delicious, but I'm the only one who eats them. I pitted every one of those little buggers by hand! Your cherry pitter would have been awesome!

Hugs,
Barb

LeAnn said...

I love the Cherry-It Pitter; awesome. The recipe looks delicious; thanks for sharing it.
Hugs!