Wednesday, August 26, 2015

Great Horned Owls

Sunday evening, my husband told me to come and look out the dining room window.  What a surprise!  I’ve heard the sounds many times of Great Horned Owls around our home (they sit in our pine trees and hoot for what seems like forever) and I’ve seen one flying here and there, but I’ve never actually seen one sitting.  And now, not only do I get to see one, but there were two…..sitting on my hanging basket (old clothes line pole) pole. 
The great horned owl gets its name from the tufts of feathers on its head that look like ears.  The owl's ears are actually further down on the side of its head, and are just openings in the skull hidden beneath feathers.  With its large eyes, it can see in almost complete darkness.  If there isn’t any light, its excellent hearing helps it to hunt by sound.
It was getting dark (8:30 p.m.) when I took the pictures so I didn’t know if I could get good photos but with the settings I used on my camera and Picasa, I was able to get them good enough to show. 
One of the owls looks to have a bad eye on the right-hand side of his face and the other owl has a big, white mustache.  So fun to see!

IMG_1397

IMG_1393

IMG_1394

IMG_1396

IMG_1402

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hoot hoot now you know what has been keeping you awake at night. Those are great shots. Especially that close to your house...Max

Barb said...

Hi Marsha!

WOW! You were so lucky to get those pictures! I have only seen owls in my area at dusk, or in the very early morning. These two are just gorgeous!! I love all the wildlife at your house!!

Hugs,
Barb

LeAnn said...

Wow, you captured some great pictures; how fun. I love that you have such a great country type environment. I miss that. We had a great home in Spokane that had a wet land below it and there were so many creatures down in there and those that would come up for a visit.
Thanks and hugs for this one!