Wednesday, November 19, 2014

Beaver Dam On Houston Road

Three, maybe four weeks ago as I was traveling along Houston Road near the bridge, I looked to see if I could see a beaver dam in the river.  I’m not sure who told me about it but at that time, there wasn’t much to see.  Today as I was heading home, I remembered the dam and decided to go and take another look.  My goodness, someone has been a Busy Beaver.  The dam was all across the river.  It’s amazing how these little animals can block off water.  How do they get the first stick and every other stick solid enough to hold back the water while they continue to work on their dam.  AMAZING!  Wikipedia (the Free Encyclopedia) states this about the beaver: Beavers build dams to provide ponds as protection against predators such as coyotes, wolves, and bears, and to provide easy access to food during winter. These structures modify the natural environment in such a way that the overall ecosystem builds upon the change, making beavers a keystone species. Beavers work at night and are prolific builders, carrying mud and stones with their fore-paws and timber between their teeth.  To read more, GO HERE.

IMG_9825

IMG_9826

IMG_9827

IMG_9832

IMG_9829

IMG_9828

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is one big beaver dam. nice pictures....Janis....

Anonymous said...

The reflections in the water are cool. especially the first one...max

Coloring Outside the Lines said...

Pretty fall shots- I think the only place I have ever seen a beaver dam was on the Duck Dynasty show. Things didn't go so well for those beavers. :) Dropping by from Chatty's blog.