Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Mallard Ducks and Baby Calves w/Daughter

Went to town today to get an oil change for my Explorer.  After leaving there, I went to one of my favorite spots for pictures…..the bridge at the base of the mine hill.  Besides the beautiful scenery, there were some mallards swimming on the river.  Mallard ducks have the prettiest heads, such a vibrant green.

IMG_8184

IMG_8185

IMG_8186

IMG_8192

Mallards on River

I also decided to drive up to the reservoir.  Not much happening there but it was a beautiful day and it looks like fishermen/women were enjoying the warmth by fishing outside their huts.

IMG_8196

IMG_8193

IMG_8194

I stopped at the gas station to get gas and BOOM, gas had gone up from $3.19 to $3.55 in one day……………..  It’s sad that somebody needs to fill their pockets to overflowing and I know it isn’t the gas stations making the big profits.

IMG_8200

Almost home when I noticed the baby calves in the field with their mammas.  I do miss having all the baby calves on our place.  Not so much the mammas, but the babies are so cute with their big black eyes and super long lashes…………cute, really cute!

IMG_8201

Way back when………….like around 25 years ago, we had a couple of calves that for some reason were not able to stay with their mammas so we brought them on our yard.  They were great playmates for our daughter, even sleeping and playing in the sandbox with her. 

Amber in tire with calf

She named them too.  The one standing was starlight and the one with the white face was moonshine.  And I’m positively sure that the piece of straw or the stick she had in her mouth was absolutely sanitary! 

Amber in tire with calf2

If she wasn’t sleeping or playing with them, she was trying to ride them.  They actually made pretty good buddies for her.  Although, right after taking the picture on the bottom, Starlight bucked her off – OUCH!

Amber riding calf

Amber riding calf2

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh bring back memories of good old days.baby animals are so cute.....Janis....

Anonymous said...

I remember those pics and the cows also. Lot of good memories in your little house on the ranch..Max

Amber Sayer Walker said...

I had the best childhood EVER! I wouldn't trade it. I wish that Grayson could grow up on a ranch.