Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Removing Hard Water From Bathroom Tiles

Yes, yes, yes…………….I finally found it…………a home made cleaner that cleaned my bathroom tile.  Sorry I didn’t take a before picture but I have been looking for months to find something that would clean my bathroom tile without using all the chemicals.  Believe me when I say I’ve tried many different concoctions to get rid of the dull, yellowish-grayish color on my tiles….with the promise to work and I didn’t expect this one to work either.  It totally worked and I was totally in cleaning heaven.  I found the mixture to use on this site and thought….why not give it a try, I’ve tried everything else.  I found an empty 32 oz. spray bottle and filled it a little more than 1/2 full of white vinegar, a little over 1/4 cup of lemon juice and about 6-7 oz. of blue Dawn dish soap.  I didn’t measure as close as I should have….I just kind of eyeballed my measurements.  I sprayed my entire shower area pretty heavily with the solution, let it sit for 1/2 hour, washed everything with a rag and did not rinse the spray off.  I sprayed again and let it sit for another 1/2 hour and did the same thing.  I then sprayed on a third coat, let sit for 1/2 hour and then scrubbed the entire shower down with a scrub brush.  Then I got in the shower and threw little buckets of water all over and washed it down with a rag at the same time.  It took about 10-15 minutes of doing this before all the soap residue wasn’t making any more bubbles on the wall.  When it all dried, this is what I ended up with…..nice, clean, white tiles.  Finally!  Can you see my doing my happy dance?!

IMG_5720

After cleaning the tiles, I needed to tackle the shower head that was totally a mess.  I had read somewhere on someone's blog that if you put white vinegar in a zip-lock bag and tie it around your shower head and let it sit for an hour or so, it will take off all the hard water.  Imagine how grungy a shower head can get….that would be mine…..and now look at the results of using a little bag of vinegar – AmAzInG!

IMG_5721

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have been putting a bag of vinegar over my shower head for ages. I do it often enough that it doesn't get that grundgy. The rest of the tile looks great. Come do mine. You did such a good job on yours you are hired. Ha Ha ...Max

Seth and Natalie said...

Holy cow, your tile is so white it belongs in a tv commercial. I love not cleaning with chemicals, and I also love when you post about it, then I can try it. Which I definitely will.