Saturday, June 8, 2013

Chemical Free Oven Cleaner

I’m almost embarrassed to show you how dirty/grimy my oven was but………..here goes!  It’s one of those things that if you don’t see it regularly, it doesn’t exist and that’s how I felt about my oven.  I only bake in it maybe 3 times a week and there is an oven door that hides it, right?  Well, it got to me and I dreaded the thought of cleaning it because it was so-o-o-o-o-o bad that I thought I would never get all the grime off.  Yesterday I found a site that stated you could clean your oven naturally using only water, soap, vinegar and baking soda.  I mixed up 1 tablespoon Dawn dish soap, 1 1/2 cups baking soda, 1/4 cup white vinegar and enough water to make a paste that I could spread on with a pastry brush.  OK, after taking the bait, making the solution and painting the oven then letting it sit overnight, here are the before and after pictures.  Still not clean but I think I will give it another go-around.  As for the racks, I’d read somewhere that you could leave your BBQ grill grates on your grass overnight and then they would clean easier so I gave that a try too, placing my oven racks on the grass last night.  This morning when I cleaned them, it didn’t take much effort to get most of the grime off.  Eventually, I’ll get over my embarrassment thinking it may have helped someone out there in blog land to get their oven cleaned without using chemicals.

IMG_5723IMG_5729

IMG_5725IMG_5731

IMG_5726IMG_5732

IMG_5728IMG_5735

1 comment:

Bridget and Ellyn said...

I've tried that same recipe for my dirty oven. I had visions of a perfectly shiny clean oven the next morning. But, mine looked about like yours. That last bit of cleaning took a lot of elbow grease.