Thursday, December 29, 2011

Common Goldeneye Duck

I needed to go to town today to fill the car with gas and to pick up some groceries.  Can you imagine how much money we would save if we didn't have to eat.  We'd all be millionaires - Woopiekiay!  After leaving the grocery store, I headed for home when a thought came to me.......you haven't been to the mine hill bridge for awhile, why not take a little detour and go there.  I like taking pictures in that area........it seems there is always something there.  I wasn't disappointed in the detour.  I noticed some ducks swimming on the river so I decided to video them.  There were quite aways off so the video is pretty poor but when I turned and looked on the other side of the bridge, there was one a lot closer so I took a still photo of him.  I've never seen one of these ducks before so I came home a Googled it.  It is known as a Barrow's Goldeneye (diving sea duck).  They are a long-lived duck, living up to 18 years.  The duck was named after Sr. John Barrow, a fellow of the Royal Society.
OOPS......Good thing I have my bird-watching sister around.  She wrote and told me to check out the Common Goldeneye.  I checked it out and although similar, my duck seems to be the Common Goldeneye.  Thanks, SIS!.....and here I thought I was being smart and could do it without my sis....what on earth was I thinking?! - HA!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good shot. Check out the common golden eye. Not up as much on ducks as other birds. Max