Tuesday, October 3, 2017

Girls Just Gotta Have Fun - Friends Visit

As I was looking back at my blogs, I noticed that I never wrote about the last weekend in June, when my high school friends came up for their yearly visit.  We have so much fun together and I actually start counting the days, when I see their tail lights go down the road, till next years visit.  We talk, snort laugh, sight see, and travel............................... 
One of the first places we checked out was the Lost River Museum....(Be sure to click out the Lost River Museum photo tutorial.  You can do that by clicking on "Lost River Museum", written in red, above) This is a must see for everyone!
That same day, we also went to see the Smelter site.  I find it hard to believe that I have lived in this area for 37 years and have never been to see this site.  The following photos are pictures I took of posted information where the smelter used to be.  For any picture you would like to view on a larger scale, just click on the picture and it will double the size.
 
 
These next photos are actual photos of the site that I took that include what is remaining of the stone retaining wall and the brick-lined draft tunnels which connected the smelter to an iron draft-stack that was 10 feet in diameter and 120 feet tall.
   
 
 
Another day was spent traveling to Salmon, Idaho, to shop at the Baker (Amish) Country Store, visit the Sacajawea  Interpretative Center and eat a late lunch at Bertram's Brewery.
The Amish Country Store was a fun experience.  I loved all the homemade goodies they had in the store.  You could purchase anything from fresh baked to bottled to.....................
The Sacajawea Interpretative Center was wonderful.  It was a stormy day and we contemplated even going there, but I'm sure glad we weathered the storm, so to speak, and decided to go. Besides a visitors center, they had paths that you could walk to see many cultural structures and historical items. I have a picture overload here but it was hard selecting only a few of the many photos I took of this place.
 
  
 
   
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Then it was off to eat.  My husband and I had eaten at Bertram's Brewery before and from what I could remember, it was good food..........and, it was so again this day.  The front of the Brewery is family dining with the brewery being in the back so you actually never see the bar part unless you choose to.
On my friends last day visiting, we (my two Utah friends and a friend from my home town) chose to drive separate cars to go see the Shoshone Falls.  Another landmark that I had never seen before.  By driving separate cars, after we were through playing, my friends could just leave from there and travel back to their homes in Utah.
Before seeing the falls, we decided to stop off and see the Perrine Bridge (height: 486' - Lentgh: 1,499').  My one friend and I actually walked across it.....pretty freaky.......all the way across!  We also got to see a paraglider jump off the bridge..........CRAZY!

 
 
    
 
Then it was off to the Falls.  To really see the Falls in all their splendor, you need to go earlier in the year before the water is used for ranching/farming, as so I was informed.  But what we did see was spectacular, to say in the least.  Beautiful, just beautiful.  These Falls are actually higher than Niagara Falls, at 212 feet. 
My friends are going to love the picture of the three of us.  It was pretty windy and I was the only one wearing a hat so you could say my friends were having a bad hair day - Ha!
 
 

As we were leaving, one of the paths that led to another view of the Falls was blocked off.  The reason for the blocked path was due to a swarm of bees hanging in a tree right over the path.  I asked the people in charge if I could get in closer to get my photo and they actually let me.  I was still a little ways off and I had to zoom in on the bees but I really don't like bees and close enough was close enough....BUT anything for a picture, right?!
Now for the hard part..........waiting another 8 months until we gather together again for our yearly, make us feel younger, adventures! 

2 comments:

Barb said...

Hi Marsha~

That looked like a blast! Isn't it funny that we can live in a place for so long and not go see the sites!? I'm that way as well, but I love to visit other places to see the wonders of their communities!

Loved you photos!! Bertram's in one of my favorite places to eat in, Salmon, yum! And the, Amish store, that would be awful to miss that - love the pickled eggs - I know, I'm weird! The pastries and sandwiches are also amazing. I have never been to the, Sacajawea center, but would love to go sometime...it looks like something I would love.

Thank you for sharing, you guys look like you could be sister - very cute photo!

Hugs and Love,
Barb

LeAnn said...

This was an awesome adventure. I loved all the photos. I myself enjoy visiting historical sites so I would enjoy this one. The falls are beautfiful. I am happy you shared this because I think I will talk with my hubby about taking a trip there. I don't know that we will ever get back to se the Niagara Falls.
I would love visiting the Amish store and Bertram's looked like a great place to eat. It all sounded like such a wonderful trip with friends.
Blessings!