Wednesday, October 4, 2017

Brake For Breakfast - Breast Cancer Awareness

October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month and this flyer came in the mail, Thursday, with our local newspaper.   In recognition of Breast Cancer Awareness Month and to raise awareness about early detection of breast cancer and the importance of mammography, many health care facilities and hospitals hold an annual "Brake for Breakfast. 
In our little town, all we do is drive up to the location, roll down our windows and nurses, secretaries, etc., are standing outside with goodies in hand. 
I went with a friend who also wanted to go to the grocery store, which doesn't open until 8:00am, so  we decided to leave at 7:45 so we could do "Break for Breakfast" then head on over to get groceries.  As we left this morning, it was lightly snowing but by the time we got to the grocery store, it was coming down in big flakes and at a fast pace.

It wasn't until we left the grocery story that the thought came to me that I should blog about this so we headed back to the medical center.  We drove up and I rolled down my window and told them all we wanted was a picture of them so I could put it on my blog.  They were happy to do so, all smiling and posing, even though the snow couldn't have been much fun.
We headed for home, the snow kept coming, and it was sticking to the roads..........
Besides handing out breakfast burritos, they also gave us a little pink tote, loaded with all kinds of fun stuff.
To begin with, I just dumped everything out and took a picture, with very little arranging.
But then I thought..........nah..........I really need to show EVERYTHING that was in our little totes.  The totes were small, but they really had them packed with a little bit of everything.  We received a tooth brush, window scraper, key ring, bandage holder, slap bracelet, flashlight, eyeglass cleaning rag, pink ribbon pin, granola bar, and a little women's breast care diary that contained some great information and an appointment tracker.
 
 
After I'd been home a little over 30 minutes, I decided to go out and take more pictures.  I love the snow as it's falling, leaving everything so pretty..............BUT, I do not like the cold that feels like it needs to tag along.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
And here we are................4 HOURS LATER.

3 comments:

Barb said...

Hi Marsha!

Wow, I should be calling you, Mrs. Santa! That snow is amazing - but not strange for your neck of the woods! It rained hard here this afternoon, and it was cold enough that I thought it might turn to snow, but we got lucky and only got rain. Your photos and videos were gorgeous, nothing prettier than falling snow, but like you I don't like the cold. Loved the photo with the red crab apples covered with snow, just so pretty.

What a fun way to get people to pay attention to, breast cancer awareness. I don't think we do anything like that here - maybe I'm not paying attention. It's an important cause and one all women need to pay attention to. Fun stuff in that cute little bag - they were generous, and you got fed, a double bonus!!

Enjoy your snow!

Hugs and Love,
Barb

Anonymous said...

A fun way to start the day breakfast and a goodie bag. Snow is pretty but you can keep it up there. It was a beautiful day here. We went for a ride up the canyon and the leaves were beautiful...Max

LeAnn said...

Wow, you are getting such an early snowstorm. I hope it will hold off here. I think it is wonderful that they have such a great cause to help with. I loved the little tote and all the things you got. I liked the breakfast thing to. Breast Cancer awareness is so importnat.
Blessings and hugs~