Wednesday, January 25, 2017

Clogged Utility/Bathroom Sink Drains

Well, I sure wasn't expecting this!.................
 
 
 
Last week our bathroom sink was not draining very well so I got our sink plunger and plunged it really good then I dumped baking soda and vinegar down the drain.  I let that sit for quite some time then I ran really hot water down the drain.  After doing that it seemed to be running pretty good, but still not great.
This morning I noticed that our utility sink was draining very slowly so once again, I got out our sink plunger and started plunging.  I heard a weird noise in the bathroom and the mess you see above is what I walked in on.  Evidently our bathroom sink and our utility sink share the same drain and when I was plunging the utility sink it made the bathroom sink explode.  The mucky mess also got on the walls, floor, and rugs.  I hurried and cleaned up the mess because I had to drive to Arco and pick up my prescription glasses....thinking I would start back on the sinks when I returned home.  I didn't want to leave the house with all that mess.
 
Upon returning home, I started plunging away at the utility sink, but not before placing some paper towels over the drain in the bathroom sink......I sure wasn't going to make a big mess like I did earlier.  I could hear noises coming from the bathroom again but continued plunging the utility sink.  Finally the utility sink was draining really well so I went to see what damage there was in the bathroom.  To my surprise, the paper towels stayed over the drain and caught all the gunk.  When I removed the paper towels, I saw a piece of something that looked like black plastic sticking out of the drain.  I pulled on it and was shocked to see what looked like part of a rubber gasket.  No wonder our sinks had been draining slow.
 
Wow, your guess is as good as mine as to how in the world that got in our drain.  But, it is nice to have free running drains, once again!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad you were able to get everything unclogged. I have had that happen before and it really makes a mess. The last one I had was a lot worse than yours looks like. Wonder where the black plastic came from...Max

LeAnn said...

Wow, I admire you for dealing with all of this. I would have probably screamed for my hubby. Youa re awesome and you fixed it all by yourself. Inspiring! Big hugs for you~

Barb said...

Hi!

Wow, what a mess!! I hate plumbing problems! I showed the pictures to Bob, my pipefitter husband, and he said it looked like part of the sink . . . :0( On that note, aren't plungers great?! And, you have such a beautiful clean sink!

Hugs,
Barb

Seth and Natalie said...

So that is gross! But kudos to you for fixing your sink, way to go!