Saturday, January 28, 2017

Challenge Corners

The bulletin board on the left-hand side of the chalkboard in our Relief Society room was turning into a modge podge of colors.  I purchased some large-sized card stock so I could swap out what was already there and make it a bit more uniform looking.  We have a few pieces of colored cardstock on the board that we pin upcoming birthdays on for the month and also our monthly lesson schedule.  Even though we change the lesson and birthdays every month, the cardstock stays the same.  The cardstock has been stuck so many times with pushpins that they actually have holes, approximately the size of pencil erasers, punched right out. 
I got to wondering if I adhered the old style photo corners to each piece of cardstock then all we would need to do each month is slip in the new papers instead of fastening them with stick pins.
I called quite a few ladies to see if they had any corners but not a single person had any.  I think corners are kind of an old school thing that no one really uses any more.  One of my friends said, "Marsha, make some....I know you can do it....you'll think of something".  Before deciding to make them, I turned to E-Bay and of course they had some but the ratings on self-mounting corners were not very good and I was afraid they would not stick permanently when trying to change out the lesson and birthday papers.  At first I tired folding packaging tape into a triangle but then couldn't figure out how to make it work.  Then I thought, why couldn't I just use some laminating pockets, cuts out some triangles and seal the edges with an iron.  Bingo, I was on to something.
First I put the corners on a piece of paper, placed it where I wanted it to be then adhered my corners to the cardstock using Super Strength Mini Glue Dots.  They don't call them super strength for nothing....If you place these in the wrong spot, it takes an act of congress to remove.......just saying.
What I hadn't thought of was how difficult it was going to be to open up the corners to get the papers to slip in.  Think, think, think.......that's it.....I made some strips of cardstock that I slipped inside each corner and adhered them also using the mini glue dots.
It worked fantastic and made it really easy to slip a piece of paper into the corners.
I need to thank my friend for putting me up to the challenge of making my own corners.  I don't think I would have thought to make them if she hadn't suggested it.  Challenge.....yep, that did it....even though I stayed up till 11:30pm getting it all figured out.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Aren't you just the clever one. You always have liked a challenge...Max

LeAnn said...

You are amazing and figuring things out and I think this was very creative. I like that you gave a tutorial of sorts too. I admire your creativity and wish I had more. You do go the extra mile in your calling. Hugs and blessings for you!