Tuesday, December 8, 2015

Come, Let Us Adore Him + Drop Sugar Cookie Recipe

Sunday, I gave a lesson in Relief Society titled “Come, Let Us Adore Him, by Elder Patrick Kearon of the Seventy, that was in the December 2011 Ensign.  The message was beautiful and I also incorporated 4 church video into the lesson…………………

Shepherds Learn of the Birth of Christ:
https://www.lds.org/bible-videos/videos/shepherds-learn-of-the-birth-of-christ?lang=eng 

The Christ Child Is Presented at the Temple:
https://www.lds.org/bible-videos/videos/the-christ-child-is-presented-at-the-temple?lang=eng

The Wise Men Seek Jesus:
https://www.lds.org/bible-videos/videos/the-wise-men-seek-jesus?lang=eng

Glad Tidings of Great Joy: The Birth of Jesus Christ:
https://www.lds.org/bible-videos/videos/glad-tidings-of-great-joy-the-birth-of-jesus-christ?lang=eng

These video are and give a beautiful message.  Not only for this special time and season, but anytime!

I made a treat/handout to give to the ladies, forgetting that it was Fast Sunday, so I hid them in the closet until the very end of the lesson.  When I opened the closet door to get the cookies out….mmmmm, the smell in the closet was pretty strong….COOKIES!
I had seen on Pinterest where ladies had taken CD envelopes and put cookies in them to give away as gifts.  I made a circular handout (using a graphic from Google Images) of a Nativity, to tape on the front of the CD envelope.

Capture

There is a lady in our ward that is allergic to chocolate so I wanted to find a cookie recipe that was plain, but good, that I could slip inside the envelopes.  I took an old, drop sugar cookie recipe, given to me by Aunt Bunny, many years ago and made them large.
I used my large, plus my small cookie scoops and combined the amounts of dough each one held to make the amount of dough needed per each cookie.

IMG_2100

After scooping out the dough and rolling both scoops into a large ball, I put them on a parchment lined cookie sheet.  The balls of dough were quite large so I was only able to fit 8 cookies on each cookie sheet.

IMG_2101

After placing my dough mounds on the cookie sheet, I took a small bowl, dipped the bottom of it in flour, then press each ball into a medium-sized flat circle.

IMG_2103

After baking the cookies, I wrapped each one in plastic wrap and stuffed them in the CD envelopes.

IMG_2104

IMG_2106

This is a very easy drop sugar cookie recipe that I have made many times.  I can’t remember how many regular sized cookies this doubled recipe makes, but from this recipe I got 45 jumbo cookies.  As suggested by a friend, after the fact, you could also dip your bowl in sugar or a cinnamon/sugar mixture before flattening your dough balls.  Now why didn’t I think of that?………….  Your cooking times may vary from the recipe given so watch the first batch closely.

Capture

4 comments:

Deb J. in Utah said...

What a great idea! I love this. Sounds like an amazing lesson. I taught RS for 3+ years - was recently released and put on the RS committee. Thanks for the cookie recipe. I think I will give it a try!

daiseedeb said...

Oh maaaan! Sugar cookies are my favorite! I missed out! That will teach me to go home after sacrament meeting (even if I did feel like I was getting the flu). CUte ideas!

LeAnn said...

Thank you so much for this post! I loved the links for the videos. The cookie recipe will be great to use for our missionary cookie drops.
Blessing for you and hugs too!

Anonymous said...

What a neat idea. Bet the ladies really like it when your turn to give lesson. You always put a lot into it.