Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Hummingbird Feed Fire – Life Lesson # ???

Life lesson #……………well, I can’t give you a number because I definitely have made a bazillion mistakes in my life.  But, on this lesson, I learned that you do not leave humming bird feed or anything else cooking on the stove unattended (without setting a timer to remind me I have something cooking). 

As I looked out my window this morning, I noticed that one of my hummer feeders was out of liquid so I decided that now was as good a time as any to make more.  I went in the kitchen and measured out water and sugar, put it in a pan and put it on the stove to boil so it would dissolve the sugar.  I thought while that comes to a boil, I will just go in and check my e-mail. W-E-L-L-L-L-L, I kind of forgot about the stove and ………………….! 

I was on the computer when I heard the fire alarm in the living room go off.  My first thought was – oops, need a new battery.  As I proceeded to head that way, I saw that the house was full of smoke.  Weird that there wasn’t any smoke in the room I was in.  I rushed to the kitchen to see that the pan and the stove was on fire….literally.  Flames were pretty high at this point but I miraculously stayed calmed through the entire experience.  I put the burning pan in the sink, but knew that water was not the thing to use so I went to the cupboard to get baking soda.  I poured baking soda on the stove then turned around and realized that the pan was still on fire so I doused it with baking soda, too.  By this time, my eyes were really burning and both fire alarms in our home were ear piercing so I got a rag and fanned the alarms to get them to stop their siren noise.  I opened all the windows in the house, turned on fans, and blew the smoke out of the house.  Our house now smells like a mixture of burnt sugar and yuk.

I took a picture of the stove and pan but failed to get a picture of the fire……………..guess I had other things on my mind.  I also took a picture of our hazy living room.

IMG_8943

IMG_8944

IMG_8945

I can absolutely say, without a doubt, that this was a lesson well learned!  Also, smoke alarms are definitely worth their weight in gold.

I’m not taking this experience lightly because I know how serious the situation could have been but I saw this quote on Pinterest and decided to make a small card about it. 

Capture

It’s good to see humor in all things, if possible…….I know it sure helps me in my life, along with someone else who know my every move.  I feel that sometimes my Heavenly Father looks on me, while shaking his head and says…”Marsha, Marsha, Marsha”!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

lucky lucky you. WOW that could have been disasterous. Thank goodness for smoke alarms. Did your humming birds go hungry today ha ha ha....Max

Anonymous said...

Yes you were lucky. I cook mine in the microwave, dont have to heat the stove up...Janis...