Friday, March 15, 2013

From Beast to Prince – Wood Revival

I have a bathroom door and a front door to our home that look literally, well…….how do I put it to words – DiSgUsTiNg!  I’ve been thinking about how to make them look presentable without stripping the entire doors and re-varnishing.  LOVE PINTEREST!  I came across this bit of information today on how to make your disgusting wood change from the Beast to a Handsome Prince.  I know, the words seem strong but that is a great comparison as to how this stuff works.  Go HERE and HERE to read all about changing your ruined wood.  After reading the articles, I had to give it a try on my bathroom door that has been ruined over the years with lots of moisture.  So, I went to work mixing 1 part white vinegar to 3 parts oil (I used vegetable oil).  After mixing well, I rubbed a bad area of my door using a clean cloth.  I rubbed the area really good and then buffed it out so it did not have an oily feel to it.  Below is the before (Beast) and after (Handsome Prince) photos of parts of the door I tried this on.  Amazing, right!

IMG_5144     IMG_5147

I decided to go back and do another part of the door and took a picture so you could see one area not yet treated and the area below it that I treated.  I’m so excited to get the entire door done.  Much cheaper than stripping and re-varnishing.  My only concern is that I hope I don’t get a rancid smell from the oil in a few months.  Maybe the vinegar will aid in that.  Excited!

IMG_5148

3 comments:

Amber Sayer Walker said...

Wow! That's really neat! Can't believe it worked so well. I'm going to definitely have to check it out the next time I come home. I want to see the difference in person!

Anonymous said...

Amazing. I have some places I need to try this on. Thanks! Suzanne

Anonymous said...

I would not recommend using any type of vegetable oil. Pure tung oil (read label before buying) would be the best to use, or orange oil. However I would not mix them with white vinegar. White vinegar is a natural cleaner, dilute with water and use a cloth to apply. Then when your wood is dry, apply tung oil in thin layers with a soft lint free/fuzz free cloth. The vegetable oil may get tacky in time, and is a breeding ground for bacteria.